MS09-037: Vulnerabilities in Microsoft Active Template Library (ATL) Could Allow Remote Code Execution (973908)
High Nessus Plugin ID 40556
SynopsisArbitrary code can be executed on the remote host through Microsoft Active Template Library.
DescriptionThe remote Windows host contains a version of the Microsoft Active Template Library (ATL), included as part of Visual Studio or Visual C++, that is affected by multiple vulnerabilities :
- A remote code execution issue affects the Microsoft Video ActiveX Control due to the a flaw in the function 'CComVariant::ReadFromStream' used in the ATL header, which fails to properly restrict untrusted data read from a stream. (CVE-2008-0015)
- A remote code execution issue exists in the Microsoft Active Template Library due to an error in the 'Load' method of the 'IPersistStreamInit' interface, which could allow calls to 'memcpy' with untrusted data.
- An issue in the ATL headers could allow an attacker to force VariantClear to be called on a VARIANT that has not been correctly initialized and, by supplying a corrupt stream, to execute arbitrary code.
- Unsafe usage of 'OleLoadFromStream' could allow instantiation of arbitrary objects which can bypass related security policy, such as kill bits within Internet Explorer. (CVE-2009-2493)
- A bug in the ATL header could allow reading a variant from a stream and leaving the variant type read with an invalid variant, which could be leveraged by an attacker to execute arbitrary code remotely.
SolutionMicrosoft has released a set of patches for Windows 2000, XP, 2003, Vista and 2008.