SynopsisThe remote Debian host is missing a security-related update.
DescriptionSeveral remote vulnerabilities have been discovered in the PHP 5 hypertext preprocessor. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project identifies the following problems.
The following four vulnerabilities have already been fixed in the stable (lenny) version of php5 prior to the release of lenny. This update now addresses them for etch (oldstable) as well :
- CVE-2008-2107 / CVE-2008-2108 The GENERATE_SEED macro has several problems that make predicting generated random numbers easier, facilitating attacks against measures that use rand() or mt_rand() as part of a protection.
- CVE-2008-5557 A buffer overflow in the mbstring extension allows attackers to execute arbitrary code via a crafted string containing an HTML entity.
- CVE-2008-5624 The page_uid and page_gid variables are not correctly set, allowing use of some functionality intended to be restricted to root.
- CVE-2008-5658 Directory traversal vulnerability in the ZipArchive::extractTo function allows attackers to write arbitrary files via a ZIP file with a file whose name contains .. (dot dot) sequences.
This update also addresses the following three vulnerabilities for both oldstable (etch) and stable (lenny) :
- CVE-2008-5814 Cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerability, when display_errors is enabled, allows remote attackers to inject arbitrary web script or HTML.
- CVE-2009-0754 When running on Apache, PHP allows local users to modify behavior of other sites hosted on the same web server by modifying the mbstring.func_overload setting within .htaccess, which causes this setting to be applied to other virtual hosts on the same server.
- CVE-2009-1271 The JSON_parser function allows a denial of service (segmentation fault) via a malformed string to the json_decode API function.
Furthermore, two updates originally scheduled for the next point update for oldstable are included in the etch package :
- Let PHP use the system timezone database instead of the embedded timezone database which is out of date.
- From the source tarball, the unused 'dbase' module has been removed which contained licensing problems.
SolutionUpgrade the php5 package.
For the old stable distribution (etch), these problems have been fixed in version 5.2.0+dfsg-8+etch15.
For the stable distribution (lenny), these problems have been fixed in version 5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny3.