VMware Products Multiple Vulnerabilities (VMSA-2009-0005/VMSA-2009-0007)
High Nessus Plugin ID 36117
SynopsisThe remote host has an application that is affected by multiple issues.
DescriptionVMware products installed on the remote host are reportedly affected by multiple vulnerabilities :
- A vulnerability in the guest virtual device driver could allow an attacker to use the guest operating system to crash the host operating system. (CVE-2008-3761)
- A denial of service vulnerability affects an unspecified IOCTL contained in the 'hcmon.sys' driver. An attacker can exploit this in order to deny service on a Windows- based host. (CVE-2009-1146, CVE-2008-3761)
- A privilege escalation vulnerability affects the 'vmci.sys' driver on Windows-based machines. An attacker can exploit this in order to gain escalated privileges on either the host or the guest. (CVE-2009-1147)
- The 'VNnc' codec is affected by two heap-based buffer overflow vulnerabilities. An attacker can exploit these to execute arbitrary code on VMware hosted products by tricking a user into opening a malicious file.
- A vulnerability in ACE shared folder may allow attackers to enable previously disabled shared ACE folders. This only affects VMware ACE. (CVE-2009-0908)
- A remote denial of service vulnerability affects Windows hosts. An attacker can exploit this to crash the affected host. (CVE-2009-0177)
- A vulnerability in the virtual machine display function may allow a guest operating system to run code on the host. (CVE-2009-1244)
- A vulnerability in VMware Descheduled Time Accounting Service could be exploited to trigger a denial of service condition in Windows-based virtual machines. It should be noted that, this feature is optional, and the vulnerability can be exploited only if the feature is installed, and the affected service is not running in the virtual machine. (CVE-2009-1805)
SolutionUpgrade to :
- VMware Workstation 6.5.2 or higher.
- VMware Server 2.0.1/1.0.9 or higher.
- VMware Player 2.5.2 or higher.
- VMware ACE 2.5.2 or higher.