SynopsisThe remote Debian host is missing a security-related update.
DescriptionSeveral vulnerabilities have been discovered in libpng, a library for reading and writing PNG files. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project identifies the following problems :
- CVE-2007-2445 The png_handle_tRNS function allows attackers to cause a denial of service (application crash) via a grayscale PNG image with a bad tRNS chunk CRC value.
- CVE-2007-5269 Certain chunk handlers allow attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) via crafted pCAL, sCAL, tEXt, iTXt, and ztXT chunking in PNG images, which trigger out-of-bounds read operations.
- CVE-2008-1382 libpng allows context-dependent attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) and possibly execute arbitrary code via a PNG file with zero length 'unknown' chunks, which trigger an access of uninitialized memory.
- CVE-2008-5907 The png_check_keyword might allow context-dependent attackers to set the value of an arbitrary memory location to zero via vectors involving creation of crafted PNG files with keywords.
- CVE-2008-6218 A memory leak in the png_handle_tEXt function allows context-dependent attackers to cause a denial of service (memory exhaustion) via a crafted PNG file.
- CVE-2009-0040 libpng allows context-dependent attackers to cause a denial of service (application crash) or possibly execute arbitrary code via a crafted PNG file that triggers a free of an uninitialized pointer in (1) the png_read_png function, (2) pCAL chunk handling, or (3) setup of 16-bit gamma tables.
SolutionUpgrade the libpng packages.
For the old stable distribution (etch), these problems have been fixed in version 1.2.15~beta5-1+etch2.
For the stable distribution (lenny), these problems have been fixed in version 1.2.27-2+lenny2. (Only CVE-2008-5907, CVE-2008-5907 and CVE-2009-0040 affect the stable distribution.)
File Name: debian_DSA-1750.nasl
Supported Sensors: Agentless Assessment, Frictionless Assessment Agent, Nessus Agent
CPE: p-cpe:/a:debian:debian_linux:libpng, cpe:/o:debian:debian_linux:4.0, cpe:/o:debian:debian_linux:5.0
Required KB Items: Host/local_checks_enabled, Host/Debian/dpkg-l, Host/Debian/release
Exploit Ease: No known exploits are available
Patch Publication Date: 3/22/2009
CVE: CVE-2007-2445, CVE-2007-5269, CVE-2008-1382, CVE-2008-5907, CVE-2008-6218, CVE-2009-0040
BID: 25956, 28276, 28770, 31920, 33827, 33990