SynopsisThe remote Debian host is missing a security-related update.
DescriptionSeveral remote vulnerabilities have been discovered in the Icedove mail client, an unbranded version of the Thunderbird mail client. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project identifies the following problems :
- CVE-2008-0016 Justin Schuh, Tom Cross and Peter Williams discovered a buffer overflow in the parser for UTF-8 URLs, which may lead to the execution of arbitrary code. (MFSA 2008-37)
- CVE-2008-3835 'moz_bug_r_a4' discovered that the same-origin check in nsXMLDocument::OnChannelRedirect() could be bypassed.
- CVE-2008-4058 'moz_bug_r_a4' discovered a vulnerability which can result in Chrome privilege escalation through XPCNativeWrappers. (MFSA 2008-41)
- CVE-2008-4059 'moz_bug_r_a4' discovered a vulnerability which can result in Chrome privilege escalation through XPCNativeWrappers. (MFSA 2008-41)
- CVE-2008-4060 Olli Pettay and 'moz_bug_r_a4' discovered a Chrome privilege escalation vulnerability in XSLT handling.
- CVE-2008-4061 Jesse Ruderman discovered a crash in the layout engine, which might allow the execution of arbitrary code. (MFSA 2008-42)
- CVE-2008-4067 It was discovered that a directory traversal allows attackers to read arbitrary files via a certain character. (MFSA 2008-44)
- CVE-2008-4068 It was discovered that a directory traversal allows attackers to bypass security restrictions and obtain sensitive information. (MFSA 2008-44)
- CVE-2008-4070 It was discovered that a buffer overflow could be triggered via a long header in a news article, which could lead to arbitrary code execution. (MFSA 2008-46)
- CVE-2008-4582 Liu Die Yu and Boris Zbarsky discovered an information leak through local shortcut files. (MFSA 2008-47, MFSA 2008-59)
- CVE-2008-5012 Georgi Guninski, Michal Zalewski and Chris Evan discovered that the canvas element could be used to bypass same-origin restrictions. (MFSA 2008-48)
- CVE-2008-5014 Jesse Ruderman discovered that a programming error in the window.__proto__.__proto__ object could lead to arbitrary code execution. (MFSA 2008-50)
- CVE-2008-5017 It was discovered that crashes in the layout engine could lead to arbitrary code execution. (MFSA 2008-52)
- CVE-2008-5021 It was discovered that a crash in the nsFrameManager might lead to the execution of arbitrary code. (MFSA 2008-55)
- CVE-2008-5022 'moz_bug_r_a4' discovered that the same-origin check in nsXMLHttpRequest::NotifyEventListeners() could be bypassed. (MFSA 2008-56)
- CVE-2008-5024 Chris Evans discovered that quote characters were improperly escaped in the default namespace of E4X documents. (MFSA 2008-58)
- CVE-2008-5500 Jesse Ruderman discovered that the layout engine is vulnerable to DoS attacks that might trigger memory corruption and an integer overflow. (MFSA 2008-60)
- CVE-2008-5503 Boris Zbarsky discovered that an information disclosure attack could be performed via XBL bindings. (MFSA 2008-61)
- CVE-2008-5506 Marius Schilder discovered that it is possible to obtain sensible data via a XMLHttpRequest. (MFSA 2008-64)
- CVE-2008-5508 Chip Salzenberg discovered possible phishing attacks via URLs with leading whitespaces or control characters.
- CVE-2008-5511 It was discovered that it is possible to perform cross-site scripting attacks via an XBL binding to an 'unloaded document.' (MFSA 2008-68)
SolutionUpgrade the icedove packages.
For the stable distribution (etch) these problems have been fixed in version 220.127.116.11+18.104.22.168b.dfsg1+prepatch080614i-0etch1. Packages for s390 will be provided later.
For the upcoming stable distribution (lenny) these problems will be fixed soon.
For the unstable (sid) distribution these problems have been fixed in version 22.214.171.124-1.
File Name: debian_DSA-1696.nasl
Supported Sensors: Frictionless Assessment Agent, Nessus Agent
Temporal Vector: E:F/RL:OF/RC:C
CPE: p-cpe:/a:debian:debian_linux:icedove, cpe:/o:debian:debian_linux:4.0
Required KB Items: Host/local_checks_enabled, Host/Debian/release, Host/Debian/dpkg-l
Exploit Ease: Exploits are available
Patch Publication Date: 1/7/2009
Vulnerability Publication Date: 4/17/2008
CVE: CVE-2008-0016, CVE-2008-1380, CVE-2008-3835, CVE-2008-4058, CVE-2008-4059, CVE-2008-4060, CVE-2008-4061, CVE-2008-4062, CVE-2008-4065, CVE-2008-4067, CVE-2008-4068, CVE-2008-4070, CVE-2008-4582, CVE-2008-5012, CVE-2008-5014, CVE-2008-5017, CVE-2008-5018, CVE-2008-5021, CVE-2008-5022, CVE-2008-5024, CVE-2008-5500, CVE-2008-5503, CVE-2008-5506, CVE-2008-5507, CVE-2008-5508, CVE-2008-5511, CVE-2008-5512
BID: 28818, 31346, 31397, 31411, 32281, 32882