New! Vulnerability Priority Rating (VPR)
Tenable calculates a dynamic VPR for every vulnerability. VPR combines vulnerability information with threat intelligence and machine learning algorithms to predict which vulnerabilities are most likely to be exploited in attacks. Read more about what VPR is and how it's different from CVSS.
VPR Score: 8.3
SynopsisThe remote Debian host is missing a security-related update.
DescriptionSeveral vulnerabilities have been discovered in the Linux kernel that may lead to a denial of service or privilege escalation. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project identifies the following problems :
- CVE-2007-6716 Joe Jin reported a local denial of service vulnerability that allows system users to trigger an oops due to an improperly initialized data structure.
- CVE-2008-1514 Jan Kratochvil reported a local denial of service vulnerability in the ptrace interface for the s390 architecture. Local users can trigger an invalid pointer dereference, leading to a system panic.
- CVE-2008-3276 Eugene Teo reported an integer overflow in the DCCP subsystem that may allow remote attackers to cause a denial of service in the form of a kernel panic.
- CVE-2008-3525 Eugene Teo reported a lack of capability checks in the kernel driver for Granch SBNI12 leased line adapters (sbni), allowing local users to perform privileged operations.
- CVE-2008-3833 The S_ISUID/S_ISGID bits were not being cleared during an inode splice, which, under certain conditions, can be exploited by local users to obtain the privileges of a group for which they are not a member. Mark Fasheh reported this issue.
- CVE-2008-4210 David Watson reported an issue in the open()/creat() system calls which, under certain conditions, can be exploited by local users to obtain the privileges of a group for which they are not a member.
- CVE-2008-4302 A coding error in the splice subsystem allows local users to attempt to unlock a page structure that has not been locked, resulting in a system crash.
SolutionUpgrade the linux-2.6, fai-kernels, and user-mode-linux packages.
For the stable distribution (etch), this problem has been fixed in version 2.6.18.dfsg.1-22etch3.