Debian DSA-1653-1 : linux-2.6 - denial of service/privilege escalation
High Nessus Plugin ID 34392
SynopsisThe remote Debian host is missing a security-related update.
DescriptionSeveral vulnerabilities have been discovered in the Linux kernel that may lead to a denial of service or privilege escalation. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project identifies the following problems :
- CVE-2007-6716 Joe Jin reported a local denial of service vulnerability that allows system users to trigger an oops due to an improperly initialized data structure.
- CVE-2008-1514 Jan Kratochvil reported a local denial of service vulnerability in the ptrace interface for the s390 architecture. Local users can trigger an invalid pointer dereference, leading to a system panic.
- CVE-2008-3276 Eugene Teo reported an integer overflow in the DCCP subsystem that may allow remote attackers to cause a denial of service in the form of a kernel panic.
- CVE-2008-3525 Eugene Teo reported a lack of capability checks in the kernel driver for Granch SBNI12 leased line adapters (sbni), allowing local users to perform privileged operations.
- CVE-2008-3833 The S_ISUID/S_ISGID bits were not being cleared during an inode splice, which, under certain conditions, can be exploited by local users to obtain the privileges of a group for which they are not a member. Mark Fasheh reported this issue.
- CVE-2008-4210 David Watson reported an issue in the open()/creat() system calls which, under certain conditions, can be exploited by local users to obtain the privileges of a group for which they are not a member.
- CVE-2008-4302 A coding error in the splice subsystem allows local users to attempt to unlock a page structure that has not been locked, resulting in a system crash.
SolutionUpgrade the linux-2.6, fai-kernels, and user-mode-linux packages.
For the stable distribution (etch), this problem has been fixed in version 2.6.18.dfsg.1-22etch3.