VMware Products Multiple Vulnerabilities (VMSA-2008-0009)
High Nessus Plugin ID 33105
SynopsisThe remote Windows host has an application that is affected by multiple issues.
DescriptionA VMware product installed on the remote host is affected by multiple vulnerabilities.
- A local privilege escalation issue in 'HGFS.sys' driver included with the VMware Tools package, could allow an unprivileged guest user to execute arbitrary code on the guest system. It should be noted that installing the new releases of the affected product will not resolve the issue. In order to successfully apply this patch VMware Tools package should be updated on each Windows based guest followed by a reboot of the guest system.
- Multiple buffer overflow vulnerabilities in VMware VIX API, which is disabled by default, could allow arbitrary code execution on the host system from the guest operating system. (CVE-2008-2100)
SolutionUpgrade to :
- VMware Workstation 6.0.4/5.5.7 or higher.
- VMware Player 2.0.4/1.0.6 or higher.
- VMware Server 1.0.6 or higher.
- VMware ACE 2.0.4 or higher.