Netscape Browser < 188.8.131.52 Multiple Vulnerabilities
High Nessus Plugin ID 31135
SynopsisThe remote Windows host contains a web browser that is affected by multiple vulnerabilities.
DescriptionThe installed version of Netscape is affected by various security issues :
- Several stability bugs leading to crashes which, in some cases, show traces of memory corruption.
- Several file input focus stealing vulnerabilities that could result in uploading of arbitrary files provided their full path and file names are known.
- Several issues that allow scripts from page content to escape from their sandboxed context and/or run with chrome privileges, resulting in privilege escalation, XSS, and/or remote code execution.
- An issue that could allow a malicious site to inject newlines into the application's password store when a user saves a password, resulting in corruption of saved passwords for other sites.
- A directory traversal vulnerability via the 'chrome:' URI.
- A vulnerability involving 'designMode' frames that may result in web browsing history and forward navigation stealing.
- An information disclosure issue in the BMP decoder.
- A file action dialog tampering vulnerability involving timer-enabled security dialogs.
- Mis-handling of locally-saved plaintext files.
- Possible disclosure of sensitive URL parameters, such as session tokens, via the .href property of stylesheet DOM nodes reflecting the final URI of the stylesheet after following any 302 redirects.
- A failure to display a web forgery warning dialog in cases where the entire contents of a page are enclosed in a '<div>' with absolute positioning.
SolutionThe Netscape Browser / Navigator has been discontinued. While these issues were reportedly fixed in 184.108.40.206, it is strongly recommended that you switch to the latest version of another browser, such as Mozilla Firefox, which the Netscape Team recommends.