Debian DSA-1466-1 : xorg-server - several vulnerabilities
High Nessus Plugin ID 30059
SynopsisThe remote Debian host is missing a security-related update.
DescriptionThe X.org fix for CVE-2007-6429 introduced a regression in the MIT-SHM extension, which prevented the start of a few applications. This update provides updated packages for the xfree86 version included in Debian old stable (sarge) in addition to the fixed packages for Debian stable (etch), which were provided in DSA 1466-2.
For reference the original advisory text below :
Several local vulnerabilities have been discovered in the X.Org X server. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project identifies the following problems :
- CVE-2007-5760 'regenrecht' discovered that missing input sanitising within the XFree86-Misc extension may lead to local privilege escalation.
- CVE-2007-5958 It was discovered that error messages of security policy file handling may lead to a minor information leak disclosing the existence of files otherwise inaccessible to the user.
- CVE-2007-6427 'regenrecht' discovered that missing input sanitising within the XInput-Misc extension may lead to local privilege escalation.
- CVE-2007-6428 'regenrecht' discovered that missing input sanitising within the TOG-CUP extension may lead to disclosure of memory contents.
- CVE-2007-6429 'regenrecht' discovered that integer overflows in the EVI and MIT-SHM extensions may lead to local privilege escalation.
- CVE-2008-0006 It was discovered that insufficient validation of PCF fonts could lead to local privilege escalation.
SolutionUpgrade the X.org/Xfree86 packages.
For the oldstable distribution (sarge), this problem has been fixed in version 4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge7 of xfree86.
For the stable distribution (etch), this problem has been fixed in version 1.1.1-21etch3 of xorg-server and 1.2.2-2.etch1 of libxfont.