SynopsisThe remote Debian host is missing a security-related update.
DescriptionSeveral local vulnerabilities have been discovered in the Linux kernel that may lead to a denial of service or the execution of arbitrary code. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project identifies the following problems :
- CVE-2006-6058 LMH reported an issue in the minix filesystem that allows local users with mount privileges to create a DoS (printk flood) by mounting a specially crafted corrupt filesystem.
- CVE-2007-5966 Warren Togami discovered an issue in the hrtimer subsystem that allows a local user to cause a DoS (soft lockup) by requesting a timer sleep for a long period of time leading to an integer overflow.
- CVE-2007-6063 Venustech AD-LAB discovered a buffer overflow in the isdn ioctl handling, exploitable by a local user.
- CVE-2007-6206 Blake Frantz discovered that when a core file owned by a non-root user exists, and a root-owned process dumps core over it, the core file retains its original ownership. This could be used by a local user to gain access to sensitive information.
- CVE-2007-6417 Hugh Dickins discovered an issue in the tmpfs filesystem where, under a rare circumstance, a kernel page may be improperly cleared, leaking sensitive kernel memory to userspace or resulting in a DoS (crash).
These problems have been fixed in the stable distribution in version 2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch6.
The following matrix lists additional packages that were rebuilt for compatibility with or to take advantage of this update :
Debian 4.0 (etch) fai-kernels 1.17+etch.13etch6 user-mode-linux 2.6.18-1um-2etch.13etch6
SolutionUpgrade the kernel package immediately and reboot the machine. If you have built a custom kernel from the kernel source package, you will need to rebuild to take advantage of these fixes.
File Name: debian_DSA-1436.nasl
Supported Sensors: Agentless Assessment, Frictionless Assessment Agent, Nessus Agent
CPE: p-cpe:/a:debian:debian_linux:linux-2.6, cpe:/o:debian:debian_linux:4.0
Required KB Items: Host/local_checks_enabled, Host/Debian/release, Host/Debian/dpkg-l
Patch Publication Date: 12/20/2007