Debian DSA-1378-2 : linux-2.6 - several vulnerabilities
High Nessus Plugin ID 26208
SynopsisThe remote Debian host is missing a security-related update.
DescriptionSeveral local and remote vulnerabilities have been discovered in the Linux kernel that may lead to a denial of service or the execution of arbitrary code. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project identifies the following problems :
- CVE-2007-3731 Evan Teran discovered a potential local denial of service (oops) in the handling of PTRACE_SETREGS and PTRACE_SINGLESTEP requests.
- CVE-2007-3739 Adam Litke reported a potential local denial of service (oops) on powerpc platforms resulting from unchecked VMA expansion into address space reserved for hugetlb pages.
- CVE-2007-3740 Matt Keenan reported that CIFS filesystems with CAP_UNIX enabled were not honoring a process' umask which may lead to unintentionally relaxed permissions.
- CVE-2007-4573 Wojciech Purczynski discovered a vulnerability that can be exploited by a local user to obtain superuser privileges on x86_64 systems. This resulted from improper clearing of the high bits of registers during ia32 system call emulation. This vulnerability is relevant to the Debian amd64 port as well as users of the i386 port who run the amd64 linux-image flavour.
- CVE-2007-4849 Michael Stone reported an issue with the JFFS2 filesystem. Legacy modes for inodes that were created with POSIX ACL support enabled were not being written out to the medium, resulting in incorrect permissions upon remount.
These problems have been fixed in the stable distribution in version 2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch3.
This advisory has been updated to include a build for the arm architecture, which was not yet available at the time of DSA-1378-1.
The following matrix lists additional packages that were rebuilt for compatibility with or to take advantage of this update :
Debian 4.0 (etch) fai-kernels 1.17+etch.13etch3 user-mode-linux 2.6.18-1um-2etch.13etch3
SolutionUpgrade the kernel package immediately and reboot the machine. If you have built a custom kernel from the kernel source package, you will need to rebuild to take advantage of these fixes.