RHEL 4 : util-linux (RHSA-2007:0235)
Medium Nessus Plugin ID 25139
SynopsisThe remote Red Hat host is missing a security update.
DescriptionAn updated util-linux package that corrects a security issue and fixes several bugs is now available.
This update has been rated as having low security impact by the Red Hat Security Response Team.
The util-linux package contains a collection of basic system utilities.
A flaw was found in the way the login process handled logins which did not require authentication. Certain processes which conduct their own authentication could allow a remote user to bypass intended access policies which would normally be enforced by the login process.
This update also fixes the following bugs :
* The partx, addpart and delpart commands were not documented.
* The 'umount -l' command did not work on hung NFS mounts with cached data.
* The mount command did not mount NFS V3 share where sec=none was specified.
* The mount command did not read filesystem LABEL from unpartitioned disks.
* The mount command did not recognize labels on VFAT filesystems.
* The fdisk command did not support 4096 sector size for the '-b' option.
* The mount man page did not list option 'mand' or information about /etc/mtab limitations.
All users of util-linux should upgrade to these updated packages, which contain backported patches to correct these issues.
SolutionUpdate the affected util-linux package.