New! Vulnerability Priority Rating (VPR)
Tenable calculates a dynamic VPR for every vulnerability. VPR combines vulnerability information with threat intelligence and machine learning algorithms to predict which vulnerabilities are most likely to be exploited in attacks. Read more about what VPR is and how it's different from CVSS.
VPR Score: 5.5
SynopsisThe remote Red Hat host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionUpdated kernel packages that fix a number of security issues as well as other bugs are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1 (32 bit architectures)
This security advisory has been rated as having important security impact by the Red Hat Security Response Team.
The Linux kernel handles the basic functions of the operating system.
These new kernel packages contain fixes for the security issues described below :
* a flaw in the USB devio handling of device removal that allowed a local user to cause a denial of service (crash) (CVE-2005-3055, moderate)
* a flaw in ROSE due to missing verification of the ndigis argument of new routes (CVE-2005-3273, moderate)
* an info leak on AMD-based x86 systems that allowed a local user to retrieve the floating point exception state of a process run by a different user (CVE-2006-1056, important)
* a minor info leak in socket name handling in the network code (CVE-2006-1342, low)
* a minor info leak in socket option handling in the network code (CVE-2006-1343, low)
* a directory traversal vulnerability in smbfs that allowed a local user to escape chroot restrictions for an SMB-mounted filesystem via '..\\' sequences (CVE-2006-1864, moderate)
* a flaw in the mprotect system call that allowed to give write permission to a readonly attachment of shared memory (CVE-2006-2071, moderate)
A performance bug in the NFS implementation that caused clients to frequently pause when sending TCP segments during heavy write loads was also addressed.
All Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1 users are advised to upgrade their kernels to these updated packages, which contain backported fixes to correct these issues.
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.