RHEL 4 : kernel (RHSA-2006:0132)
Low Nessus Plugin ID 21033
SynopsisThe remote Red Hat host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionUpdated kernel packages are now available as part of ongoing support and maintenance of Red Hat Enterprise Linux version 4. This is the third regular update.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red Hat Security Response Team.
The Linux kernel handles the basic functions of the operating system.
This is the third regular kernel update to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
New features introduced in this update include :
- Open InfiniBand (OpenIB) support
- Serial Attached SCSI support
- NFS access control lists, asynchronous I/O
- IA64 multi-core support and sgi updates
- Large SMP CPU limits increased using the largesmp kernel: Up to 512 CPUs in ia64, 128 in ppc64, and 64 in AMD64 and Intel EM64T
- Improved read-ahead performance
- Common Internet File System (CIFS) update
- Error Detection and Correction (EDAC) modules
- Unisys support
There were several bug fixes in various parts of the kernel. The ongoing effort to resolve these problems has resulted in a marked improvement in the reliability and scalability of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
The following security bug was fixed in this update :
- dm-crypt did not clear a structure before freeing it, which could allow local users to discover information about cryptographic keys (CVE-2006-0095)
The following device drivers have been upgraded to new versions :
cciss: 2.6.8 to 2.6.8-rh1 ipmi_devintf: 33.4 to 33.11 ipmi_msghandler:
33.4 to 33.11 ipmi_poweroff: 33.4 to 33.11 ipmi_si: 33.4 to 33.11 ipmi_watchdog: 33.4 to 33.11 mptbase: 3.02.18 to 3.02.60.01rh e1000:
6.0.54-k2-NAPI to 6.1.16-k2-NAPI ixgb: 1.0.95-k2-NAPI to 1.0.100-k2-NAPI tg3: 3.27-rh to 3.43-rh aacraid: 1.1.2-lk2 to 1.1-5 ahci: 1.01 to 1.2 ata_piix: 1.03 to 1.05 iscsi_sfnet:
4:0.1.11-1 to 4:0.1.11-2 libata: 1.11 to 1.20 qla2100: 8.01.00b5-rh2 to 8.01.02-d3 qla2200: 8.01.00b5-rh2 to 8.01.02-d3 qla2300:
8.01.00b5-rh2 to 8.01.02-d3 qla2322: 8.01.00b5-rh2 to 8.01.02-d3 qla2xxx: 8.01.00b5-rh2 to 8.01.02-d3 qla6312: 8.01.00b5-rh2 to 8.01.02-d3 sata_nv: 0.6 to 0.8 sata_promise: 1.01 to 1.03 sata_svw:
1.06 to 1.07 sata_sx4: 0.7 to 0.8 sata_vsc: 1.0 to 1.1 cifs: 1.20 to 1.34
Added drivers :
bnx2: 1.4.25 dell_rbu: 0.7 hangcheck-timer: 0.9.0 ib_mthca: 0.06 megaraid_sas: 00.00.02.00 qla2400: 8.01.02-d3 typhoon: 1.5.7
All Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 users are advised to upgrade their kernels to the packages associated with their machine architectures and configurations as listed in this erratum.
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.