RHEL 4 : slocate (RHSA-2005:346)
Low Nessus Plugin ID 19986
SynopsisThe remote Red Hat host is missing a security update.
DescriptionAn updated slocate package that fixes a denial of service and various bugs is available.
This update has been rated as having low security impact by the Red Hat Security Response Team.
Slocate is a security-enhanced version of locate. Like locate, slocate searches through a central database (updated nightly) for files that match a given pattern. Slocate allows you to quickly find files anywhere on your system.
A bug was found in the way slocate scans the local filesystem. A carefully prepared directory structure could cause updatedb's file system scan to fail silently, resulting in an incomplete slocate database. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project has assigned the name CVE-2005-2499 to this issue.
Additionally this update addresses the following issues :
- File system type exclusions were processed only when starting updatedb and did not reflect file systems mounted while updatedb was running (for example, automounted file systems.)
- File system type exclusions were ignored for file systems that were mounted to a path containing a symbolic link.
- Databases created by slocate were owned by the slocate group even if they were created by regular users.
- The default configuration excluded /mnt/floppy, but not /media.
- The default configuration did not exclude nfs4 file systems.
Users of slocate are advised to upgrade to this updated package, which contains backported patches and is not affected by these issues.
SolutionUpdate the affected slocate package.