Mandrake Linux Security Advisory : ethereal (MDKSA-2005:083)
High Nessus Plugin ID 18237
SynopsisThe remote Mandrake Linux host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionA number of vulnerabilities were discovered in previous version of Ethereal that have been fixed in the 0.10.11 release, including :
- The ANSI A and DHCP dissectors are vulnerable to format string vulnerabilities.
- The DISTCC, FCELS, SIP, ISIS, CMIP, CMP, CMS, CRMF, ESS, OCSP, PKIX1Explitit, PKIX Qualified, X.509, Q.931, MEGACO, NCP, ISUP, TCAP and Presentation dissectors are vulnerable to buffer overflows.
- The KINK, WSP, SMB Mailslot, H.245, MGCP, Q.931, RPC, GSM and SMB NETLOGON dissectors are vulnerable to pointer handling errors.
- The LMP, KINK, MGCP, RSVP, SRVLOC, EIGRP, MEGACO, DLSw, NCP and L2TP dissectors are vulnerable to looping problems.
- The Telnet and DHCP dissectors could abort.
- The TZSP, Bittorrent, SMB, MGCP and ISUP dissectors could cause a segmentation fault.
- The WSP, 802.3 Slow protocols, BER, SMB Mailslot, SMB, NDPS, IAX2, RADIUS, SMB PIPE, MRDISC and TCAP dissectors could throw assertions.
- The DICOM, NDPS and ICEP dissectors are vulnerable to memory handling errors.
- The GSM MAP, AIM, Fibre Channel,SRVLOC, NDPS, LDAP and NTLMSSP dissectors could terminate abnormallly.
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.