SynopsisThe remote Debian host is missing one or more security-related updates.
DescriptionThe remote Debian 9 host has packages installed that are affected by multiple vulnerabilities as referenced in the dla-3054 advisory.
- In The Sleuth Kit (TSK) 4.4.2, opening a crafted ISO 9660 image triggers an out-of-bounds read in iso9660_proc_dir() in tsk/fs/iso9660_dent.c in libtskfs.a, as demonstrated by fls. (CVE-2017-13755)
- In The Sleuth Kit (TSK) 4.4.2, opening a crafted disk image triggers infinite recursion in dos_load_ext_table() in tsk/vs/dos.c in libtskvs.a, as demonstrated by mmls. (CVE-2017-13756)
- In The Sleuth Kit (TSK) 4.4.2, fls hangs on a corrupt exfat image in tsk_img_read() in tsk/img/img_io.c in libtskimg.a. (CVE-2017-13760)
- In The Sleuth Kit (TSK) through 4.6.4, hfs_cat_traverse in tsk/fs/hfs.c does not properly determine when a key length is too large, which allows attackers to cause a denial of service (SEGV on unknown address with READ memory access in a tsk_getu16 call in hfs_dir_open_meta_cb in tsk/fs/hfs_dent.c). (CVE-2018-19497)
- The Sleuth Kit 4.6.0 and earlier is affected by: Integer Overflow. The impact is: Opening crafted disk image triggers crash in tsk/fs/hfs_dent.c:237. The component is: Overflow in fls tool used on HFS image.
Bug is in tsk/fs/hfs.c file in function hfs_cat_traverse() in lines: 952, 1062. The attack vector is:
Victim must open a crafted HFS filesystem image. (CVE-2019-1010065)
- In version 4.8.0 and earlier of The Sleuth Kit (TSK), there is a stack buffer overflow vulnerability in the YAFFS file timestamp parsing logic in yaffsfs_istat() in fs/yaffs.c. (CVE-2020-10232)
Note that Nessus has not tested for these issues but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionUpgrade the sleuthkit packages.
For Debian 9 stretch, these problems have been fixed in version 4.4.0-5+deb9u1.
File Name: debian_DLA-3054.nasl
Supported Sensors: Frictionless Assessment Agent, Nessus Agent
Temporal Vector: E:U/RL:OF/RC:C
Temporal Vector: E:U/RL:O/RC:C
CPE: p-cpe:/a:debian:debian_linux:libtsk-dev, p-cpe:/a:debian:debian_linux:libtsk13, p-cpe:/a:debian:debian_linux:sleuthkit, cpe:/o:debian:debian_linux:9.0
Required KB Items: Host/local_checks_enabled, Host/Debian/release, Host/Debian/dpkg-l
Exploit Ease: No known exploits are available
Patch Publication Date: 6/20/2022
Vulnerability Publication Date: 8/29/2017