SynopsisThe remote Amazon Linux 2 host is missing a security update.
DescriptionThe version of kernel installed on the remote host is prior to 4.14.268-205.500. It is, therefore, affected by multiple vulnerabilities as referenced in the ALAS2-2022-1761 advisory.
- The BPF subsystem in the Linux kernel before 4.17 mishandles situations with a long jump over an instruction sequence where inner instructions require substantial expansions into multiple BPF instructions, leading to an overflow. This affects kernel/bpf/core.c and net/core/filter.c.
- An issue was discovered in the FUSE filesystem implementation in the Linux kernel before 5.10.6, aka CID-5d069dbe8aaf. fuse_do_getattr() calls make_bad_inode() in inappropriate situations, causing a system crash. NOTE: the original fix for this vulnerability was incomplete, and its incompleteness is tracked as CVE-2021-28950. (CVE-2020-36322)
- fs/nfs/nfs4client.c in the Linux kernel before 5.13.4 has incorrect connection-setup ordering, which allows operators of remote NFSv4 servers to cause a denial of service (hanging of mounts) by arranging for those servers to be unreachable during trunking detection. (CVE-2021-38199)
- A flaw null pointer dereference in the Linux kernel UDF file system functionality was found in the way user triggers udf_file_write_iter function for the malicious UDF image. A local user could use this flaw to crash the system. Actual from Linux kernel 4.2-rc1 till 5.17-rc2. (CVE-2022-0617)
- An issue was discovered in fs/nfs/dir.c in the Linux kernel before 5.16.5. If an application sets the O_DIRECTORY flag, and tries to open a regular file, nfs_atomic_open() performs a regular lookup. If a regular file is found, ENOTDIR should occur, but the server instead returns uninitialized data in the file descriptor. (CVE-2022-24448)
Note that Nessus has not tested for this issue but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionRun 'yum update kernel' to update your system.
File Name: al2_ALAS-2022-1761.nasl
Supported Sensors: Frictionless Assessment Agent, Frictionless Assessment AWS, Nessus Agent
Temporal Vector: E:H/RL:OF/RC:C
Temporal Vector: E:H/RL:O/RC:C
CPE: p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-debuginfo, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-debuginfo-common-aarch64, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-debuginfo-common-x86_64, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-devel, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-headers, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-livepatch-4.14.268-205.500, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-tools, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-tools-debuginfo, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-tools-devel, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:perf, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:perf-debuginfo, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:python-perf, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:python-perf-debuginfo, cpe:/o:amazon:linux:2
Required KB Items: Host/local_checks_enabled, Host/AmazonLinux/release, Host/AmazonLinux/rpm-list
Exploit Ease: No known exploits are available
Patch Publication Date: 3/7/2022
Vulnerability Publication Date: 4/14/2021
CVE: CVE-2018-25020, CVE-2020-36322, CVE-2021-4197, CVE-2021-26341, CVE-2021-26401, CVE-2021-38199, CVE-2022-0001, CVE-2022-0002, CVE-2022-0330, CVE-2022-0435, CVE-2022-0617, CVE-2022-23960, CVE-2022-24448