SynopsisThe remote Amazon Linux 2 host is missing a security update.
DescriptionThe version of kernel installed on the remote host is prior to 4.14.231-173.360. It is, therefore, affected by multiple vulnerabilities as referenced in the ALAS2-2021-1627 advisory.
- A memory leak in the adis_update_scan_mode() function in drivers/iio/imu/adis_buffer.c in the Linux kernel before 5.3.9 allows attackers to cause a denial of service (memory consumption), aka CID-ab612b1daf41.
- kernel/bpf/verifier.c in the Linux kernel before 4.20.6 performs undesirable out-of-bounds speculation on pointer arithmetic in various cases, including cases of different branches with different state or limits to sanitize, leading to side-channel attacks. (CVE-2019-7308)
- An issue was discovered in the Linux kernel before 5.11.8. kernel/bpf/verifier.c has an off-by-one error (with a resultant integer underflow) affecting out-of-bounds speculation on pointer arithmetic, leading to side-channel attacks that defeat Spectre mitigations and obtain sensitive information from kernel memory, aka CID-10d2bb2e6b1d. (CVE-2020-27171)
- rtw_wx_set_scan in drivers/staging/rtl8188eu/os_dep/ioctl_linux.c in the Linux kernel through 5.11.6 allows writing beyond the end of the ->ssid array. NOTE: from the perspective of kernel.org releases, CVE IDs are not normally used for drivers/staging/* (unfinished work); however, system integrators may have situations in which a drivers/staging issue is relevant to their own customer base. (CVE-2021-28660)
- The fix for XSA-365 includes initialization of pointers such that subsequent cleanup code wouldn't use uninitialized or stale values. This initialization went too far and may under certain conditions also overwrite pointers which are in need of cleaning up. The lack of cleanup would result in leaking persistent grants. The leak in turn would prevent fully cleaning up after a respective guest has died, leaving around zombie domains. All Linux versions having the fix for XSA-365 applied are vulnerable.
XSA-365 was classified to affect versions back to at least 3.11. (CVE-2021-28688)
- A race condition was discovered in get_old_root in fs/btrfs/ctree.c in the Linux kernel through 5.11.8. It allows attackers to cause a denial of service (BUG) because of a lack of locking on an extent buffer before a cloning operation, aka CID-dbcc7d57bffc. (CVE-2021-28964)
- In drivers/pci/hotplug/rpadlpar_sysfs.c in the Linux kernel through 5.11.8, the RPA PCI Hotplug driver has a user-tolerable buffer overflow when writing a new device name to the driver from userspace, allowing userspace to write data to the kernel stack frame directly. This occurs because add_slot_store and remove_slot_store mishandle drc_name '\0' termination, aka CID-cc7a0bb058b8. (CVE-2021-28972)
- BPF JIT compilers in the Linux kernel through 5.11.12 have incorrect computation of branch displacements, allowing them to execute arbitrary code within the kernel context. This affects arch/x86/net/bpf_jit_comp.c and arch/x86/net/bpf_jit_comp32.c. (CVE-2021-29154)
- An issue was discovered in the Linux kernel before 5.11.7. usbip_sockfd_store in drivers/usb/usbip/stub_dev.c allows attackers to cause a denial of service (GPF) because the stub-up sequence has race conditions during an update of the local and shared status, aka CID-9380afd6df70.
- An issue was discovered in the Linux kernel before 5.11.11. qrtr_recvmsg in net/qrtr/qrtr.c allows attackers to obtain sensitive information from kernel memory because of a partially uninitialized data structure, aka CID-50535249f624. (CVE-2021-29647)
Note that Nessus has not tested for this issue but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionRun 'yum update kernel' to update your system.
File Name: al2_ALAS-2021-1627.nasl
Supported Sensors: Agentless Assessment, Frictionless Assessment Agent, Frictionless Assessment AWS, Nessus Agent
Temporal Vector: CVSS:3.0/E:P/RL:O/RC:C
CPE: p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-debuginfo, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-debuginfo-common-aarch64, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-debuginfo-common-x86_64, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-devel, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-headers, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-livepatch-4.14.231-173.360, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-tools, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-tools-debuginfo, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-tools-devel, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:perf, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:perf-debuginfo, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:python-perf, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:python-perf-debuginfo, cpe:/o:amazon:linux:2
Required KB Items: Host/local_checks_enabled, Host/AmazonLinux/release, Host/AmazonLinux/rpm-list
Exploit Ease: Exploits are available
Patch Publication Date: 4/20/2021
Vulnerability Publication Date: 1/31/2019
CVE: CVE-2019-19060, CVE-2019-7308, CVE-2020-25670, CVE-2020-25671, CVE-2020-25672, CVE-2020-27171, CVE-2021-28660, CVE-2021-28688, CVE-2021-28964, CVE-2021-28972, CVE-2021-29154, CVE-2021-29265, CVE-2021-29647, CVE-2021-3483