SynopsisThe remote OracleVM host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThe remote OracleVM system is missing necessary patches to address security updates:
- An issue was found in Linux kernel before 5.5.4. The mwifiex_cmd_append_vsie_tlv() function in drivers/net/wireless/marvell/mwifiex/scan.c allows local users to gain privileges or cause a denial of service because of an incorrect memcpy and buffer overflow, aka CID-b70261a288ea. (CVE-2020-12653)
- A flaw was found in the Linux kernel's implementation of MIDI, where an attacker with a local account and the permissions to issue ioctl commands to midi devices could trigger a use-after-free issue. A write to this specific memory while freed and before use causes the flow of execution to change and possibly allow for memory corruption or privilege escalation. The highest threat from this vulnerability is to confidentiality, integrity, as well as system availability. (CVE-2020-27786)
- An issue was discovered in Xen through 4.14.x. Some OSes (such as Linux, FreeBSD, and NetBSD) are processing watch events using a single thread. If the events are received faster than the thread is able to handle, they will get queued. As the queue is unbounded, a guest may be able to trigger an OOM in the backend. All systems with a FreeBSD, Linux, or NetBSD (any version) dom0 are vulnerable. (CVE-2020-29568)
- A locking inconsistency issue was discovered in the tty subsystem of the Linux kernel through 5.9.13.
drivers/tty/tty_io.c and drivers/tty/tty_jobctrl.c may allow a read-after-free attack against TIOCGSID, aka CID-c8bcd9c5be24. (CVE-2020-29660)
- mwifiex_cmd_802_11_ad_hoc_start in drivers/net/wireless/marvell/mwifiex/join.c in the Linux kernel through 5.10.4 might allow remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a long SSID value, aka CID-5c455c5ab332.
Note that Nessus has not tested for these issues but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionUpdate the affected kernel-uek / kernel-uek-firmware packages.
File Name: oraclevm_OVMSA-2021-0005.nasl
Temporal Vector: E:U/RL:OF/RC:C
Temporal Vector: E:U/RL:O/RC:C
CPE: p-cpe:/a:oracle:vm:kernel-uek, p-cpe:/a:oracle:vm:kernel-uek-firmware, cpe:/o:oracle:vm_server:3.4
Required KB Items: Host/local_checks_enabled, Host/OracleVM/release, Host/OracleVM/rpm-list
Exploit Ease: No known exploits are available
Patch Publication Date: 2/4/2021
Vulnerability Publication Date: 4/4/2020