New! Vulnerability Priority Rating (VPR)
Tenable calculates a dynamic VPR for every vulnerability. VPR combines vulnerability information with threat intelligence and machine learning algorithms to predict which vulnerabilities are most likely to be exploited in attacks. Read more about what VPR is and how it's different from CVSS.
VPR Score: 5.9
SynopsisThe remote Ubuntu host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThe remote Ubuntu 16.04 LTS host has packages installed that are affected by multiple vulnerabilities as referenced in the USN-4641-1 advisory.
- In GNU Libextractor 1.4, there is a Divide-By-Zero in EXTRACTOR_wav_extract_method in wav_extractor.c via a zero sample rate. (CVE-2017-15266)
- In GNU Libextractor 1.4, there is a NULL Pointer Dereference in flac_metadata in flac_extractor.c.
- In GNU Libextractor 1.4, there is a NULL Pointer Dereference in the EXTRACTOR_nsf_extract_method function of plugins/nsf_extractor.c. (CVE-2017-15600)
- In GNU Libextractor 1.4, there is a heap-based buffer overflow in the EXTRACTOR_png_extract_method function in plugins/png_extractor.c, related to processiTXt and stndup. (CVE-2017-15601)
- In GNU Libextractor 1.4, there is an integer signedness error for the chunk size in the EXTRACTOR_nsfe_extract_method function in plugins/nsfe_extractor.c, leading to an infinite loop for a crafted size. (CVE-2017-15602)
- In GNU Libextractor 1.4, there is an out-of-bounds read in the EXTRACTOR_dvi_extract_method function in plugins/dvi_extractor.c. (CVE-2017-15922)
- GNU Libextractor 1.6 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (NULL pointer dereference and application crash) via a crafted GIF, IT (Impulse Tracker), NSFE, S3M (Scream Tracker 3), SID, or XM (eXtended Module) file, as demonstrated by the EXTRACTOR_xm_extract_method function in plugins/xm_extractor.c. (CVE-2017-17440)
- GNU Libextractor before 1.7 has a stack-based buffer overflow in ec_read_file_func (unzip.c).
- GNU Libextractor before 1.7 contains an infinite loop vulnerability in EXTRACTOR_mpeg_extract_method (mpeg_extractor.c). (CVE-2018-14347)
- GNU Libextractor through 1.7 has an out-of-bounds read vulnerability in EXTRACTOR_zip_extract_method() in zip_extractor.c. (CVE-2018-16430)
- GNU Libextractor through 1.8 has an out-of-bounds read vulnerability in the function history_extract() in plugins/ole2_extractor.c, related to EXTRACTOR_common_convert_to_utf8 in common/convert.c.
- GNU Libextractor through 1.8 has a NULL Pointer Dereference vulnerability in the function process_metadata() in plugins/ole2_extractor.c. (CVE-2018-20431)
Note that Nessus has not tested for this issue but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionUpdate the affected extract, libextractor-dev and / or libextractor3 packages.