New! Vulnerability Priority Rating (VPR)
Tenable calculates a dynamic VPR for every vulnerability. VPR combines vulnerability information with threat intelligence and machine learning algorithms to predict which vulnerabilities are most likely to be exploited in attacks. Read more about what VPR is and how it's different from CVSS.
VPR Score: 5.9
SynopsisThe remote Ubuntu host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThe remote Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / 18.04 LTS / 20.04 LTS host has a package installed that is affected by multiple vulnerabilities as referenced in the USN-4573-1 advisory.
- The rfbProcessClientNormalMessage function in libvncserver/rfbserver.c in LibVNCServer 0.9.9 and earlier does not properly handle attempts to send a large amount of ClientCutText data, which allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (memory consumption or daemon crash) via a crafted message that is processed by using a single unchecked malloc. (CVE-2014-6053)
- An issue was discovered in LibVNCServer through 0.9.11. rfbProcessClientNormalMessage() in rfbserver.c does not sanitize msg.cct.length, leading to access to uninitialized and potentially sensitive data or possibly unspecified other impact (e.g., an integer overflow) via specially crafted VNC packets.
- LibVNC commit before d01e1bb4246323ba6fcee3b82ef1faa9b1dac82a contains a memory leak (CWE-655) in VNC server code, which allow an attacker to read stack memory and can be abused for information disclosure.
Combined with another vulnerability, it can be used to leak stack memory and bypass ASLR. This attack appear to be exploitable via network connectivity. These vulnerabilities have been fixed in commit d01e1bb4246323ba6fcee3b82ef1faa9b1dac82a. (CVE-2019-15681)
- An issue was discovered in LibVNCServer before 0.9.13. libvncserver/rfbregion.c has a NULL pointer dereference. (CVE-2020-14397)
- An issue was discovered in LibVNCServer before 0.9.13. libvncserver/corre.c allows out-of-bounds access via encodings. (CVE-2020-14402)
- An issue was discovered in LibVNCServer before 0.9.13. libvncserver/hextile.c allows out-of-bounds access via encodings. (CVE-2020-14403)
- An issue was discovered in LibVNCServer before 0.9.13. libvncserver/rre.c allows out-of-bounds access via encodings. (CVE-2020-14404)
Note that Nessus has not tested for this issue but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionUpdate the affected vino package.