SynopsisThe remote Amazon Linux 2 host is missing a security update.
DescriptionThe version of tested product installed on the remote host is prior to tested version. It is, therefore, affected by multiple vulnerabilities as referenced in the ALAS2-2020-1495 advisory.
- In the Linux kernel 5.0.21 and 5.3.11, mounting a crafted btrfs filesystem image, performing some operations, and then making a syncfs system call can lead to a use-after-free in try_merge_free_space in fs/btrfs/free-space-cache.c because the pointer to a left data structure can be the same as the pointer to a right data structure. (CVE-2019-19448)
- A memory out-of-bounds read flaw was found in the Linux kernel before 5.9-rc2 with the ext3/ext4 file system, in the way it accesses a directory with broken indexing. This flaw allows a local user to crash the system if the directory exists. The highest threat from this vulnerability is to system availability.
- A flaw was found in the Linux kernels implementation of the invert video code on VGA consoles when a local attacker attempts to resize the console, calling an ioctl VT_RESIZE, which causes an out-of-bounds write to occur. This flaw allows a local user with access to the VGA console to crash the system, potentially escalating their privileges on the system. The highest threat from this vulnerability is to data confidentiality and integrity as well as system availability. (CVE-2020-14331)
- In the Linux kernel through 5.8.7, local attackers able to inject conntrack netlink configuration could overflow a local buffer, causing crashes or triggering use of incorrect protocol numbers in ctnetlink_parse_tuple_filter in net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_netlink.c, aka CID-1cc5ef91d2ff.
- A TOCTOU mismatch in the NFS client code in the Linux kernel before 5.8.3 could be used by local attackers to corrupt memory or possibly have unspecified other impact because a size check is in fs/nfs/nfs4proc.c instead of fs/nfs/nfs4xdr.c, aka CID-b4487b935452. (CVE-2020-25212)
- A race condition between hugetlb sysctl handlers in mm/hugetlb.c in the Linux kernel before 5.8.8 could be used by local attackers to corrupt memory, cause a NULL pointer dereference, or possibly have unspecified other impact, aka CID-17743798d812. (CVE-2020-25285)
Note that Nessus has not tested for this issue but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionRun 'yum update kernel' to update your system.
File Name: al2_ALAS-2020-1495.nasl
Supported Sensors: Frictionless Assessment AWS, Frictionless Assessment Agent, Nessus Agent, Agentless Assessment
Temporal Vector: CVSS:3.0/E:U/RL:O/RC:C
CPE: p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-debuginfo, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-debuginfo-common-aarch64, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-debuginfo-common-x86_64, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-devel, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-headers, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-livepatch-4.14.198-152.320, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-tools, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-tools-debuginfo, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-tools-devel, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:perf, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:perf-debuginfo, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:python-perf, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:python-perf-debuginfo, cpe:/o:amazon:linux:2
Required KB Items: Host/local_checks_enabled, Host/AmazonLinux/release, Host/AmazonLinux/rpm-list
Exploit Ease: No known exploits are available
Patch Publication Date: 9/28/2020
Vulnerability Publication Date: 12/8/2019