SynopsisThe remote EulerOS host is missing multiple security updates.
DescriptionAccording to the versions of the libxml2 packages installed, the EulerOS installation on the remote host is affected by the following vulnerabilities :
- A remote code execution vulnerability in libxml2 could enable an attacker using a specially crafted file to execute arbitrary code within the context of an unprivileged process. This issue is rated as High due to the possibility of remote code execution in an application that uses this library. Product: Android.
Versions: 4.4.4, 5.0.2, 5.1.1, 6.0, 6.0.1, 7.0, 7.1.1, 7.1.2. Android ID: A-37104170.(CVE-2017-0663)
- libxml2 2.9.8, if --with-lzma is used, allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (infinite loop) via a crafted XML file that triggers LZMA_MEMLIMIT_ERROR, as demonstrated by xmllint, a different vulnerability than CVE-2015-8035 and CVE-2018-9251.(CVE-2018-14567)
- The htmlParseTryOrFinish function in HTMLparser.c in libxml2 2.9.4 allows attackers to cause a denial of service (buffer over-read) or information disclosure.(CVE-2017-8872)
- libxml2 20904-GITv2.9.4-16-g0741801 is vulnerable to a stack-based buffer overflow. The function xmlSnprintfElementContent in valid.c is supposed to recursively dump the element content definition into a char buffer 'buf' of size 'size'. At the end of the routine, the function may strcat two more characters without checking whether the current strlen(buf) + 2 < size. This vulnerability causes programs that use libxml2, such as PHP, to crash.(CVE-2017-9048)
- The xz_decomp function in xzlib.c in libxml2 2.9.1 does not properly detect compression errors, which allows context-dependent attackers to cause a denial of service (process hang) via crafted XML data.(CVE-2015-8035)
- The xz_head function in xzlib.c in libxml2 before 2.9.6 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (memory consumption) via a crafted LZMA file, because the decoder functionality does not restrict memory usage to what is required for a legitimate file.(CVE-2017-18258)
- ** DISPUTED ** libxml2 2.9.4, when used in recover mode, allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (NULL pointer dereference) via a crafted XML document. NOTE: The maintainer states 'I would disagree of a CVE with the Recover parsing option which should only be used for manual recovery at least for XML parser.'(CVE-2017-5969)
Note that Tenable Network Security has extracted the preceding description block directly from the EulerOS security advisory. Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionUpdate the affected libxml2 packages.