Security Updates for Microsoft Team Foundation Server and Azure DevOps Server (September 2019)
High Nessus Plugin ID 128649
SynopsisThe Microsoft Team Foundation or Azure DevOps Server is affected by multiple vulnerabilities.
DescriptionThe Microsoft Team Foundation or Azure DevOps Server is missing security updates. It is, therefore, affected by multiple vulnerabilities :
- A Cross-site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability exists when Team Foundation Server does not properly sanitize user provided input. An authenticated attacker could exploit the vulnerability by sending a specially crafted payload to the Team Foundation Server, which will get executed in the context of the user every time a user visits the compromised page. The attacker who successfully exploited the vulnerability could then perform cross-site scripting attacks on affected systems and run script in the security context of the current user. The attacks could allow the attacker to read content that the attacker is not authorized to read, execute malicious code, and use the victim's identity to take actions on the site on behalf of the user, such as change permissions and delete content. The security update addresses the vulnerability by ensuring that Team Foundation Server sanitizes user inputs.
- A remote code execution vulnerability exists when Azure DevOps Server (ADO) and Team Foundation Server (TFS) fail to validate input properly. An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could execute code on the server in the context of the TFS or ADO service account. To exploit the vulnerability, an attacker would need to upload a specially-crafted file to a vulnerable ADO or TFS server repo and wait for the system to index the file.
The security update addresses the vulnerability by correcting how ADO and TFS index files. (CVE-2019-1306)
SolutionMicrosoft has released the following updates to address these issues:
- Team Foundation Server 2015 Update 4.2 with patch 3
- Team Foundation Server 2017 Update 3.1 with patch 8
- Team Foundation Server 2018 Update 1.2 with patch 6
- Team Foundation Server 2018 Update 3.2 with patch 7
- Azure DevOps Server 2019 Update 0.1 with patch 3
- Azure DevOps Server 2019 Update 1 with patch 1
Please refer to the vendor guidance to determine the version and patch to apply.