EulerOS Virtualization 2.5.1 : kernel (EulerOS-SA-2019-1638)
Medium Nessus Plugin ID 125753
SynopsisThe remote EulerOS Virtualization host is missing multiple security updates.
DescriptionAccording to the versions of the kernel packages installed, the EulerOS Virtualization installation on the remote host is affected by the following vulnerabilities :
- The recent speculative execution CVEs address three potential attacks across a wide variety of architectures and hardware platforms.
- Note: This issue is present in hardware and cannot be fully fixed via software update. The nature of these vulnerabilities and their fixes introduces the possibility of reduced performance on patched systems.
The performance impact depends on the hardware and the applications in place.
- The first two variants abuse speculative execution to perform bounds-check bypass (CVE-2017-5753), or by utilizing branch target injection (CVE-2017-5715) to cause kernel code at an address under attacker control to execute speculatively. Collectively these are known as 'Spectre'.
- Variant CVE-2017-5715 fixes require CPU microcode to update.And advise to contact hardware vendors to receive the appropriate microcode for your processor.
- The third variant (CVE-2017-5754) relies on the fact that, on impacted microprocessors, during speculative execution of instruction permission faults, exception generation triggered by a faulting access is suppressed until the retirement of the whole instruction block.
Researchers have called this exploit 'Meltdown'.
- Note1: Upgrade and performance specifications,please see http://developer.huawei.com/ict/en/performance_update
- Note2:Description of microcode and security patches' switches,please see https://developer.huawei.com/ict/en/site-euleros/articl e/switch
Note that Tenable Network Security has extracted the preceding description block directly from the EulerOS security advisory. Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionUpdate the affected kernel packages.