EulerOS Virtualization 18.104.22.168 : libxml2 (EulerOS-SA-2019-1559)
Medium Nessus Plugin ID 125103
SynopsisThe remote EulerOS Virtualization host is missing multiple security updates.
DescriptionAccording to the versions of the libxml2 packages installed, the EulerOS Virtualization installation on the remote host is affected by the following vulnerabilities :
- This library allows to manipulate XML files. It includes support to read, modify and write XML and HTML files. There is DTDs support this includes parsing and validation even with complex DtDs, either at parse time or later once the document has been modified. The output can be a simple SAX stream or and in-memory DOM like representations.In this case one can use the built-in XPath and XPointer implementation to select sub nodes or ranges. A flexible Input/Output mechanism is available, with existing HTTP and FTP modules and combined to an URI library.
- Security Fix(es):
- Multiple integer overflows in libxml2, as used in Google Chrome before 20.0.1132.43 and other products, on 64-bit Linux platforms allow remote attackers to cause a denial of service or possibly have unspecified other impact via unknown vectors.(CVE-2012-2807)
- A denial of service flaw was found in libxml2. A remote attacker could provide a specially crafted XML or HTML file that, when processed by an application using libxml2, would cause that application to crash.(CVE-2015-8035)
- The xz_head function in xzlib.c in libxml2 before 2.9.6 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (memory consumption) via a crafted LZMA file, because the decoder functionality does not restrict memory usage to what is required for a legitimate file.(CVE-2017-18258)
- A NULL pointer dereference vulnerability exists in the xpath.c:xmlXPathCompOpEval() function of libxml2 through 2.9.8 when parsing an invalid XPath expression in the XPATH_OP_AND or XPATH_OP_OR case. Applications processing untrusted XSL format inputs with the use of the libxml2 library may be vulnerable to a denial of service attack due to a crash of the application.(CVE-2018-14404)
Note that Tenable Network Security has extracted the preceding description block directly from the EulerOS security advisory. Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionUpdate the affected libxml2 packages.