SynopsisA web browser installed on the remote Windows host is affected by multiple vulnerabilities.
DescriptionThe version of Mozilla Firefox installed on the remote Windows host is is prior to 64.0. It is, therefore, affected by multiple vulnerabilities as referenced in the mfsa2018-29 advisory.
- A buffer overflow occurs when drawing and validating elements with the ANGLE graphics library, used for WebGL content, when working with the VertexBuffer11 module. This results in a potentially exploitable crash. (CVE-2018-12407)
- A buffer overflow and out-of-bounds read can occur in TextureStorage11 within the ANGLE graphics library, used for WebGL content. This results in a potentially exploitable crash. (CVE-2018-17466)
- A use-after-free vulnerability can occur after deleting a selection element due to a weak reference to the select element in the options collection. This results in a potentially exploitable crash. (CVE-2018-18492)
- A buffer overflow can occur in the Skia library during buffer offset calculations with hardware accelerated canvas 2D actions due to the use of 32-bit calculations instead of 64-bit. This results in a potentially exploitable crash. (CVE-2018-18493)
- WebExtension content scripts can be loaded into about: pages in some circumstances, in violation of the permissions granted to extensions. This could allow an extension to interfere with the loading and usage of these pages and use capabilities that were intended to be restricted from extensions.
- When the RSS Feed preview about:feeds page is framed within another page, it can be used in concert with scripted content for a clickjacking attack that confuses users into downloading and executing an executable file from a temporary directory. *Note:
This issue only affects Windows operating systems. Other operating systems are not affected.* (CVE-2018-18496)
- Limitations on the URIs allowed to WebExtensions by the browser.windows.create API can be bypassed when a pipe in the URL field is used within the extension to load multiple pages as a single argument.
This could allow a malicious WebExtension to opened privileged about: or file:
- A potential vulnerability leading to an integer overflow can occur during buffer size calculations for images when a raw value is used instead of the checked value.
This can lead to an out-of-bounds write.
- The about:crashcontent and about:crashparent pages can be triggered by web content. These pages are used to crash the loaded page or the browser for test purposes. This issue allows for a non-persistent denial of service (DOS) attack by a malicious site which links to these pages.
- Mozilla developers and community members Alex Gaynor, Andr Bargull, Boris Zbarsky, Christian Holler, Jan de Mooij, Jason Kratzer, Philipp, Ronald Crane, Natalia Csoregi, and Paul Theriault reported memory safety bugs present in Firefox 63. Some of these bugs showed evidence of memory corruption and we presume that with enough effort that some of these could be exploited to run arbitrary code. (CVE-2018-12406)
- Mozilla developers and community members Christian Holler, Diego Calleja, Andrew McCreight, Jon Coppeard, Jed Davis, Natalia Csoregi, Nicolas B. Pierron, and Tyson Smith reported memory safety bugs present in Firefox 63 and Firefox ESR 60.3. Some of these bugs showed evidence of memory corruption and we presume that with enough effort that some of these could be exploited to run arbitrary code. (CVE-2018-12405)
Note that Nessus has not tested for this issue but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionUpgrade to Mozilla Firefox version 64.0 or later.
File Name: mozilla_firefox_64_0.nasl
Supported Sensors: Frictionless Assessment Agent, Frictionless Assessment AWS, Frictionless Assessment Azure, Nessus Agent
Temporal Vector: E:U/RL:OF/RC:C
Temporal Vector: E:U/RL:O/RC:C
Required KB Items: Mozilla/Firefox/Version
Exploit Ease: No known exploits are available
Patch Publication Date: 12/11/2018
Vulnerability Publication Date: 12/11/2018
CVE: CVE-2018-12405, CVE-2018-12406, CVE-2018-12407, CVE-2018-17466, CVE-2018-18492, CVE-2018-18493, CVE-2018-18494, CVE-2018-18495, CVE-2018-18496, CVE-2018-18497, CVE-2018-18498, CVE-2018-18510