RHEL 6 : MRG (RHSA-2018:1170)
Critical Nessus Plugin ID 109335
SynopsisThe remote Red Hat host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionAn update for kernel-rt is now available for Red Hat Enterprise MRG 2.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Important. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
The kernel-rt packages provide the Real Time Linux Kernel, which enables fine-tuning for systems with extremely high determinism requirements.
Security Fix(es) :
* kernel: Use-after-free vulnerability in DCCP socket (CVE-2017-8824, Important)
* kernel: v4l2: disabled memory access protection mechanism allowing privilege escalation (CVE-2017-13166, Important)
* kernel: Incorrect type conversion for size during dma allocation (CVE-2017-9725, Moderate)
* kernel: Use-after-free in snd_seq_ioctl_create_port() (CVE-2017-15265, Moderate)
* kernel: Missing namespace check in net/netlink/af_netlink.c allows for network monitors to observe systemwide activity (CVE-2017-17449, Moderate)
* kernel: netfilter: use-after-free in tcpmss_mangle_packet function in net/ netfilter/xt_TCPMSS.c (CVE-2017-18017, Moderate)
* kernel: Stack information leak in the EFS element (CVE-2017-1000410, Moderate)
For more details about the security issue(s), including the impact, a CVSS score, and other related information, refer to the CVE page(s) listed in the References section.
Red Hat would like to thank Mohamed Ghannam for reporting CVE-2017-8824 and Armis Labs for reporting CVE-2017-1000410.
Bug Fix(es) :
* The kernel-rt packages have been upgraded to version 3.10.0-693.25.2.rt56.612, which provides a number of security and bug fixes over the previous version. (BZ#1549731)
* Intel Core X-Series (Skylake) processors use a hard-coded Time Stamp Counter (TSC) frequency of 25 MHz. In some cases this can be imprecise and lead to timing-related problems such as time drift, timers being triggered early, or TSC clock instability. This update mitigates these problems by no longer using the 'native_calibrate_tsc()' function to define the TSC frequency. Refined calibration is now used to update the clock rate accordingly in these cases. (BZ#1547854)
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.