RHEL 7 : glibc (RHSA-2018:0805)
High Nessus Plugin ID 108985
SynopsisThe remote Red Hat host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionAn update for glibc is now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Moderate. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
The glibc packages provide the standard C libraries (libc), POSIX thread libraries (libpthread), standard math libraries (libm), and the name service cache daemon (nscd) used by multiple programs on the system. Without these libraries, the Linux system cannot function correctly.
Security Fix(es) :
* glibc: realpath() buffer underflow when getcwd() returns relative path allows privilege escalation (CVE-2018-1000001)
* glibc: Buffer overflow in glob with GLOB_TILDE (CVE-2017-15670)
* glibc: Buffer overflow during unescaping of user names with the ~ operator (CVE-2017-15804)
* glibc: denial of service in getnetbyname function (CVE-2014-9402)
* glibc: DNS resolver NULL pointer dereference with crafted record type (CVE-2015-5180)
* glibc: Fragmentation attacks possible when EDNS0 is enabled (CVE-2017-12132)
For more details about the security issue(s), including the impact, a CVSS score, and other related information, refer to the CVE page(s) listed in the References section.
Red Hat would like to thank halfdog for reporting CVE-2018-1000001.
The CVE-2015-5180 issue was discovered by Florian Weimer (Red Hat Product Security).
Additional Changes :
For detailed information on changes in this release, see the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.5 Release Notes linked from the References section.
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.