Microsoft Malware Protection Engine < 1.1.14405.2 RCE
Critical Nessus Plugin ID 105109
SynopsisAn antimalware application installed on the remote host is affected by a remote code execution vulnerability.
DescriptionThe version of Microsoft Malware Protection Engine (MMPE) installed on the remote Windows host is prior to 1.1.14405.2. It is, therefore, affected by a remote code execution vulnerability.
Note that Nessus has checked if a vulnerable version of MMPE is being used by any of the following applications :
- Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010
- Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 and 2016
- Microsoft Endpoint Protection
- Microsoft Security Essentials
- Windows Defender for Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Windows 10 1511, Windows 10 1607, Windows 10 1703, Windows 10 1709, and Windows Server 2016(SC)
- Windows Intune Endpoint Protection
Also note: Systems running supported versions of Windows Server 2008 R2 are not affected if the Desktop Experience feature is not installed.
SolutionEnable automatic updates to update the scan engine for the relevant antimalware applications. Refer to Knowledge Base Article 2510781 for information on how to verify that MMPE has been updated.