New! Vulnerability Priority Rating (VPR)
Tenable calculates a dynamic VPR for every vulnerability. VPR combines vulnerability information with threat intelligence and machine learning algorithms to predict which vulnerabilities are most likely to be exploited in attacks. Read more about what VPR is and how it's different from CVSS.
VPR Score: 8.9
SynopsisThe remote EulerOS host is missing multiple security updates.
DescriptionAccording to the versions of the mariadb packages installed, the EulerOS installation on the remote host is affected by the following vulnerabilities :
- It was discovered that the mysql and mysqldump tools did not correctly handle database and table names containing newline characters. A database user with privileges to create databases or tables could cause the mysql command to execute arbitrary shell or SQL commands while restoring database backup created using the mysqldump tool. (CVE-2016-5483, CVE-2017-3600)
- A flaw was found in the way the mysqld_safe script handled creation of error log file. The mysql operating system user could use this flaw to escalate their privileges to root. (CVE-2016-5617, CVE-2016-6664)
- Multiple flaws were found in the way the MySQL init script handled initialization of the database data directory and permission setting on the error log file.
The mysql operating system user could use these flaws to escalate their privileges to root. (CVE-2017-3265)
- It was discovered that the mysqld_safe script honored the ledir option value set in a MySQL configuration file. A user able to modify one of the MySQL configuration files could use this flaw to escalate their privileges to root. (CVE-2017-3291)
- Multiple flaws were found in the way the mysqld_safe script handled creation of error log file. The mysql operating system user could use these flaws to escalate their privileges to root. (CVE-2017-3312)
- A flaw was found in the way MySQL client library (libmysqlclient) handled prepared statements when server connection was lost. A malicious server or a man-in-the-middle attacker could possibly use this flaw to crash an application using libmysqlclient.
- This update fixes several vulnerabilities in the MariaDB database server. Information about these flaws can be found on the Oracle Critical Patch Update Advisory page, listed in the References section.
(CVE-2017-3238, CVE-2017-3243, CVE-2017-3244, CVE-2017-3258, CVE-2017-3308, CVE-2017-3309, CVE-2017-3313, CVE-2017-3317, CVE-2017-3318, CVE-2017-3453, CVE-2017-3456, CVE-2017-3464)
Note that Tenable Network Security has extracted the preceding description block directly from the EulerOS security advisory. Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionUpdate the affected mariadb packages.