New! Vulnerability Priority Rating (VPR)
Tenable calculates a dynamic VPR for every vulnerability. VPR combines vulnerability information with threat intelligence and machine learning algorithms to predict which vulnerabilities are most likely to be exploited in attacks. Read more about what VPR is and how it's different from CVSS.
VPR Score: 5.9
SynopsisThe remote EulerOS host is missing multiple security updates.
DescriptionAccording to the versions of the pidgin package installed, the EulerOS installation on the remote host is affected by the following vulnerabilities :
- A denial of service flaw was found in the way Pidgin's Mxit plug-in handled emoticons. A malicious remote server or a man-in-the-middle attacker could potentially use this flaw to crash Pidgin by sending a specially crafted emoticon. (CVE-2014-3695)
- A denial of service flaw was found in the way Pidgin parsed Groupwise server messages. A malicious remote server or a man-in-the-middle attacker could potentially use this flaw to cause Pidgin to consume an excessive amount of memory, possibly leading to a crash, by sending a specially crafted message.
- An information disclosure flaw was discovered in the way Pidgin parsed XMPP messages. A malicious remote server or a man-in-the-middle attacker could potentially use this flaw to disclose a portion of memory belonging to the Pidgin process by sending a specially crafted XMPP message. (CVE-2014-3698)
- An out-of-bounds write flaw was found in the way Pidgin processed XML content. A malicious remote server could potentially use this flaw to crash Pidgin or execute arbitrary code in the context of the pidgin process.
- It was found that Pidgin's SSL/TLS plug-ins had a flaw in the certificate validation functionality. An attacker could use this flaw to create a fake certificate, that Pidgin would trust, which could be used to conduct man-in-the-middle attacks against Pidgin. (CVE-2014-3694)
Note that Tenable Network Security has extracted the preceding description block directly from the EulerOS security advisory. Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionUpdate the affected pidgin packages.