Oracle Linux 7 : tomcat (ELSA-2017-2247)
Medium Nessus Plugin ID 102300
SynopsisThe remote Oracle Linux host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionFrom Red Hat Security Advisory 2017:2247 :
An update for tomcat is now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Low. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link (s) in the References section.
Apache Tomcat is a servlet container for the Java Servlet and JavaServer Pages (JSP) technologies.
The following packages have been upgraded to a later upstream version:
tomcat (7.0.76). (BZ#1414895)
Security Fix(es) :
* The Realm implementations did not process the supplied password if the supplied user name did not exist. This made a timing attack possible to determine valid user names. Note that the default configuration includes the LockOutRealm which makes exploitation of this vulnerability harder. (CVE-2016-0762)
* It was discovered that a malicious web application could bypass a configured SecurityManager via a Tomcat utility method that was accessible to web applications. (CVE-2016-5018)
* It was discovered that when a SecurityManager was configured, Tomcat's system property replacement feature for configuration files could be used by a malicious web application to bypass the SecurityManager and read system properties that should not be visible.
* It was discovered that a malicious web application could bypass a configured SecurityManager via manipulation of the configuration parameters for the JSP Servlet. (CVE-2016-6796)
* It was discovered that it was possible for a web application to access any global JNDI resource whether an explicit ResourceLink had been configured or not. (CVE-2016-6797)
Additional Changes :
For detailed information on changes in this release, see the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.4 Release Notes linked from the References section.
SolutionUpdate the affected tomcat packages.