Virtuozzo 6 : java-1.7.0-openjdk / java-1.7.0-openjdk-demo / etc (VZLSA-2017-1204)
High Nessus Plugin ID 101462
SynopsisThe remote Virtuozzo host is missing a security update.
DescriptionAn update for java-1.7.0-openjdk is now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Moderate. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
The java-1.7.0-openjdk packages provide the OpenJDK 7 Java Runtime Environment and the OpenJDK 7 Java Software Development Kit.
Security Fix(es) :
* An untrusted library search path flaw was found in the JCE component of OpenJDK. A local attacker could possibly use this flaw to cause a Java application using JCE to load an attacker-controlled library and hence escalate their privileges. (CVE-2017-3511)
* It was found that the JAXP component of OpenJDK failed to correctly enforce parse tree size limits when parsing XML document. An attacker able to make a Java application parse a specially crafted XML document could use this flaw to make it consume an excessive amount of CPU and memory. (CVE-2017-3526)
* It was discovered that the HTTP client implementation in the Networking component of OpenJDK could cache and re-use an NTLM authenticated connection in a different security context. A remote attacker could possibly use this flaw to make a Java application perform HTTP requests authenticated with credentials of a different user. (CVE-2017-3509)
Note: This update adds support for the 'jdk.ntlm.cache' system property which, when set to false, prevents caching of NTLM connections and authentications and hence prevents this issue.
However, caching remains enabled by default.
* It was discovered that the Security component of OpenJDK did not allow users to restrict the set of algorithms allowed for Jar integrity verification. This flaw could allow an attacker to modify content of the Jar file that used weak signing key or hash algorithm.
Note: This updates extends the fix for CVE-2016-5542 released as part of the RHSA-2016:2658 erratum to no longer allow the MD5 hash algorithm during the Jar integrity verification by adding it to the jdk.jar.disabledAlgorithms security property.
* Newline injection flaws were discovered in FTP and SMTP client implementations in the Networking component in OpenJDK. A remote attacker could possibly use these flaws to manipulate FTP or SMTP connections established by a Java application. (CVE-2017-3533, CVE-2017-3544)
Note that Tenable Network Security has attempted to extract the preceding description block directly from the corresponding Red Hat security advisory. Virtuozzo provides no description for VZLSA advisories. Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionUpdate the affected java-1.7.0-openjdk / java-1.7.0-openjdk-demo / etc package.