Virtuozzo 6 : ntp / ntp-doc / ntp-perl / ntpdate (VZLSA-2017-0252)
High Nessus Plugin ID 101419
SynopsisThe remote Virtuozzo host is missing a security update.
DescriptionAn update for ntp is now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Moderate. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
The Network Time Protocol (NTP) is used to synchronize a computer's time with another referenced time source. These packages include the ntpd service which continuously adjusts system time and utilities used to query and configure the ntpd service.
Security Fix(es) :
* It was found that when ntp is configured with rate limiting for all associations the limits are also applied to responses received from its configured sources. A remote attacker who knows the sources can cause a denial of service by preventing ntpd from accepting valid responses from its sources. (CVE-2016-7426)
* A flaw was found in the control mode functionality of ntpd. A remote attacker could send a crafted control mode packet which could lead to information disclosure or result in DDoS amplification attacks.
* A flaw was found in the way ntpd implemented the trap service. A remote attacker could send a specially crafted packet to cause a NULL pointer dereference that will crash ntpd, resulting in a denial of service. (CVE-2016-9311)
* A flaw was found in the way ntpd running on a host with multiple network interfaces handled certain server responses. A remote attacker could use this flaw which would cause ntpd to not synchronize with the source. (CVE-2016-7429)
* A flaw was found in the way ntpd calculated the root delay. A remote attacker could send a specially crafted spoofed packet to cause denial of service or in some special cases even crash. (CVE-2016-7433)
Note that Tenable Network Security has attempted to extract the preceding description block directly from the corresponding Red Hat security advisory. Virtuozzo provides no description for VZLSA advisories. Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionUpdate the affected ntp / ntp-doc / ntp-perl / ntpdate package.