New! Vulnerability Priority Rating (VPR)
Tenable calculates a dynamic VPR for every vulnerability. VPR combines vulnerability information with threat intelligence and machine learning algorithms to predict which vulnerabilities are most likely to be exploited in attacks. Read more about what VPR is and how it's different from CVSS.
VPR Score: 8.9
SynopsisThe remote Scientific Linux host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionSecurity Fix(es) :
- It was found that the packet_set_ring() function of the Linux kernel's networking implementation did not properly validate certain block-size data. A local attacker with CAP_NET_RAW capability could use this flaw to trigger a buffer overflow, resulting in the crash of the system. Due to the nature of the flaw, privilege escalation cannot be fully ruled out. (CVE-2017-7308, Important)
- Mounting a crafted EXT4 image read-only leads to an attacker controlled memory corruption and SLAB-Out-of-Bounds reads. (CVE-2016-10208, Moderate)
- A flaw was found in the Linux kernel's implementation of seq_file where a local attacker could manipulate memory in the put() function pointer. This could lead to memory corruption and possible privileged escalation.
- A vulnerability was found in the Linux kernel. An unprivileged local user could trigger oops in shash_async_export() by attempting to force the in-kernel hashing algorithms into decrypting an empty data set. (CVE-2016-8646, Moderate)
- It was reported that with Linux kernel, earlier than version v4.10-rc8, an application may trigger a BUG_ON in sctp_wait_for_sndbuf if the socket tx buffer is full, a thread is waiting on it to queue more data, and meanwhile another thread peels off the association being used by the first thread. (CVE-2017-5986, Moderate)
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.