New! Vulnerability Priority Rating (VPR)
Tenable calculates a dynamic VPR for every vulnerability. VPR combines vulnerability information with threat intelligence and machine learning algorithms to predict which vulnerabilities are most likely to be exploited in attacks. Read more about what VPR is and how it's different from CVSS.
VPR Score: 8.9
SynopsisThe remote Red Hat host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionAn update for kernel-rt is now available for Red Hat Enterprise MRG 2.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Important. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
The kernel-rt packages provide the Real Time Linux Kernel, which enables fine-tuning for systems with extremely high determinism requirements.
Security Fix(es) :
* It was found that the packet_set_ring() function of the Linux kernel's networking implementation did not properly validate certain block-size data. A local attacker with CAP_NET_RAW capability could use this flaw to trigger a buffer overflow, resulting in the crash of the system. Due to the nature of the flaw, privilege escalation cannot be fully ruled out. (CVE-2017-7308, Important)
* Mounting a crafted EXT4 image read-only leads to an attacker controlled memory corruption and SLAB-Out-of-Bounds reads.
* A flaw was found in the Linux kernel's implementation of seq_file where a local attacker could manipulate memory in the put() function pointer. This could lead to memory corruption and possible privileged escalation. (CVE-2016-7910, Moderate)
* A vulnerability was found in the Linux kernel. An unprivileged local user could trigger oops in shash_async_export() by attempting to force the in-kernel hashing algorithms into decrypting an empty data set.
Red Hat would like to thank Igor Redko (Virtuozzo kernel team) for reporting CVE-2016-8646.
Bug Fix(es) :
* The kernel-rt packages have been upgraded to the 3.10.0-514 source tree, which provides a number of bug fixes over the previous version.
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.