This script is Copyright (C) 2014 Tenable Network Security, Inc.
The remote openSUSE host is missing a security update.
The fail2ban tool was updated to version 0.8.12 to fix various
security issues and also brings bugfixes and features.
Security issues fixed: A remote unauthenticated attacker may cause
arbitrary IP addresses to be blocked by Fail2ban causing legitimate
users to be blocked from accessing services protected by Fail2ban.
CVE-2013-7177 (cyrus-imap) and CVE-2013-7176 (postfix)
- Use new flushlogs syntax after logrotate
- Update to version 0.8.12
- Log rotation can now occur with the command 'flushlogs'
rather than reloading fail2ban or keeping the logtarget
settings consistent in jail.conf/local and
/etc/logrotate.d/fail2ban. (dep#697333, rh#891798).
- Added ignorecommand option for allowing dynamic
determination as to ignore and IP or not.
- Remove indentation of name and loglevel while logging to
SYSLOG to resolve syslog(-ng) parsing problems.
(dep#730202). Log lines now also report '[PID]' after
the name portion too.
- Epoch dates can now be enclosed within 
- New actions: badips, firewallcmd-ipset, ufw,
- New filters: solid-pop3d, nsd, openwebmail, horde,
freeswitch, squid, ejabberd, openwebmail, groupoffice
- Filter improvements :
- apache-noscript now includes php cgi scripts
- exim-spam filter to match spamassassin log entry for
- Added to sshd filter expression for 'Received disconnect
from : 3: Auth fail'
- Improved ACL-handling for Asterisk
- Added improper command pipelining to postfix filter.
- General fixes :
- Added lots of jail.conf entries for missing filters that
creaped in over the last year.
- synchat changed to use push method which verifies
whether all data was send. This ensures that all data is
sent before closing the connection.
- Fixed python 2.4 compatibility (as sub-second in date
patterns weren't 2.4 compatible)
- Complain/email actions fixed to only include relevant
IPs to reporting
- Filter fixes :
- Added HTTP referrer bit of the apache access log to the
- Apache 2.4 perfork regexes fixed
- Kernel syslog expression can have leading spaces
- allow for ',milliseconds' in the custom date format of
- recidive jail to block all protocols
- smtps not a IANA standard so may be missing from
/etc/services. Due to (still) common use 465 has been
used as the explicit port number
- Filter dovecot reordered session and TLS items in regex
with wider scope for session characters
- Ugly Fixes (Potentially incompatible changes) :
- Unfortunately at the end of last release when the action
firewall-cmd-direct-new was added it was too long and
had a broken action check. The action was renamed to
firewallcmd-new to fit within jail name name length.
- Last release added mysqld-syslog-iptables as a jail
configuration. This jailname was too long and it has
been renamed to mysqld-syslog.
- Fixed formating of github references in changelog
- reformatted spec-file
- Update to version 0.8.11
- In light of CVE-2013-2178 that triggered our last
release we have put a significant effort into tightening
all of the regexs of our filters to avoid another
similar vulnerability. We haven't examined all of these
for a potential DoS scenario however it is possible that
another DoS vulnerability exists that is fixed by this
release. A large number of filters have been updated to
include more failure regexs supporting previously
unbanned failures and support newer application versions
too. We have test cases for most of these now however if
you have other examples that demonstrate that a filter
is insufficient we welcome your feedback. During the
tightening of the regexs to avoid DoS vulnerabilities
there is the possibility that we have inadvertently,
despite our best intentions, incorrectly allowed a
failure to continue.
Addresses a possible DoS. Closes
gh#fail2ban/fail2ban#248, bnc#824710 within [Init].
- Updates to asterisk filter. Closes
- Updates to asterisk to include AUTH_UNKNOWN_DOMAIN.
Closes gh#fail2ban/fail2ban#244. on Fedora. Closes
gh#fail2ban/fail2ban#112. Thanks to Camusensei for the
bug report. insight. Closes gh#fail2ban/fail2ban#103.
- [f2156604] pyinotify -- monitor IN_MOVED_TO events.
Closes gh#fail2ban/fail2ban#184. Thanks to Jon Foster
for report and troubleshooting. Orion Poplawski
- [39667ff6] Avoid leaking file descriptors. Closes
- [b6a68f51] Fix delaction on server side. Closes
gh#fail2ban/fail2ban#124. the fail2ban-client. Closes
Thanks to iGeorgeX for the idea.
- [96eb8986] ' and ' should also be escaped in action tags
Closes gh#fail2ban/fail2ban#109 beilber for the idea.
Closes gh#fail2ban/fail2ban#114. fail2ban is running.
- [29d0df5] Add mysqld filter. Closes
- [bba3fd8] Add Sogo filter. Closes
- [be06b1b] Add action for iptables-ipsets. Closes
- [f336d9f] Add filter for webmin. Closes
gh#fail2ban/fail2ban#99. consistently. Closes
- [b36835f] Add get cinfo to fail2ban-client. Closes
gh#fail2ban/fail2ban#126. Bug report by Michael
- [3aeb1a9] Add jail.conf manual page. Closes
gh#fail2ban/fail2ban#143. banning due to misconfigured
DNS. Close gh#fail2ban/fail2ban#64
- [0935566,5becaf8] Various python 2.4 and 2.5
compatibility fixes. Close gh#fail2ban/fail2ban#83 in
the console. Close gh#fail2ban/fail2ban#91 the log file
to take 'banip' or 'unbanip' in effect. Close
- [f52ba99] downgraded 'already banned' from WARN to INFO
level. Closes gh#fail2ban/fail2ban#79 for this
gh#fail2ban/fail2ban#87) message stays non-unicode.
Close gh#fail2ban/fail2ban#32 friend to developers stuck
with Windows (Closes gh#fail2ban/fail2ban#66) repeated
offenders. Close gh#fail2ban/fail2ban#19 Close
gh#fail2ban/fail2ban#47 (Closes: #669063)
See also :
Update the affected fail2ban package.
Risk factor :
Medium / CVSS Base Score : 5.0