How to Buy
This script is Copyright (C) 2012 Tenable Network Security, Inc.
The remote Scientific Linux host is missing a security update.
Multiple insecure temporary file use flaws were discovered in GFS2
user level utilities. A local attacker could use these flaws to
overwrite an arbitrary file writable by a victim running those
utilities (typically root) with the output of the utilities via a
symbolic link attack. (CVE-2008-6552)
This update also fixes the following bugs :
- gfs2_fsck now properly detects and repairs problems with
sequence numbers on GFS2 file systems.
- GFS2 user utilities now use the file system UUID.
- gfs2_grow now properly updates the file system size
- gfs2_fsck now returns the proper exit codes.
- gfs2_convert now properly frees blocks when removing
free blocks up to height 2.
- the gfs2_fsck manual page has been renamed to fsck.gfs2
to match current standards.
- the 'gfs2_tool df' command now provides human-readable
- mounting GFS2 file systems with the noatime or noquota
option now works properly.
- new capabilities have been added to the gfs2_edit tool
to help in testing and debugging GFS and GFS2 issues.
- the 'gfs2_tool df' command no longer segfaults on file
systems with a block size other than 4k.
- the gfs2_grow manual page no longer references the '-r'
option, which has been removed.
- the 'gfs2_tool unfreeze' command no longer hangs during
- gfs2_convert no longer corrupts file systems when
converting from GFS to GFS2.
- gfs2_fsck no longer segfaults when encountering a block
which is listed as both a data and stuffed directory
- gfs2_fsck can now fix file systems even if the journal
is already locked for use.
- a GFS2 file system's metadata is now properly copied
with 'gfs2_edit savemeta' and 'gfs2_edit restoremeta'.
- the gfs2_edit savemeta function now properly saves
blocks of type 2.
- 'gfs2_convert -vy' now works properly on the PowerPC
- when mounting a GFS2 file system as '/', mount_gfs2 no
longer fails after being unable to find the file system
- gfs2_fsck no longer segfaults when fixing 'EA leaf block
See also :
Update the affected gfs2-utils package.
Risk factor :
Medium / CVSS Base Score : 6.9
Family: Scientific Linux Local Security Checks
Nessus Plugin ID: 60653 ()
CVE ID: CVE-2008-6552
Nessus Professional: Scan unlimited IPs, run compliance checks & moreNessus Cloud: The power of Nessus for teams – from the cloud
The cookie settings on this website are set to 'allow all cookies' to give you the very best website experience. If you continue without changing these settings, you consent to this - but if you want, you can opt out of all cookies by clicking below.