Moodle < 2.7.13 / 2.8.x < 2.8.11 / 2.9.x < 2.9.5 / 3.0.x < 3.0.3 Multiple Vulnerabilities
Medium Nessus Network Monitor Plugin ID 9194
SynopsisThe remote web server is hosting a web application that is vulnerable to multiple attack vectors.
DescriptionMoodle, an open-source course management system, installed on the remote host is version 2.7.x prior to 2.7.13, 2.8.x prior to 2.8.11, or 2.9.x prior to 2.9.5, or 3.0.x prior to 3.0.3, and is affected by multiple vulnerabilities :
- A flaw exists in 'user/index.php' related to an improper capability check when displaying emails for students in a participants list. This may allow an authenticated, remote attacker to gain knowledge of participants' email addresses. (CVE-2016-2151)
- A flaw exists that allows a stored cross-site scripting (XSS) attack. This flaw exists because the external database does not validate input to the profile fields before returning it to users. This may allow a remote attacker to create a specially crafted request that would execute arbitrary script code in a user's browser session within the trust relationship between their browser and the server. (CVE-2016-2152)
- A flaw exists that allows a reflected cross-site scripting (XSS) attack. This flaw exists because the program does not validate input to the 'mod_data' advanced search before returning it to users. This may allow a context-dependent attacker to create a specially crafted request that would execute arbitrary script code in a user's browser session within the trust relationship between their browser and the server. (CVE-2016-2153)
- A flaw exists as HTTP requests to 'mod/assign/adminmanageplugins.php' do not require multiple steps, explicit confirmation, or a unique token when performing certain sensitive actions. By tricking a user into following a specially crafted link, a context-dependent attacker can perform a Cross-Site Request Forgery (CSRF / XSRF) attack causing the victim to make changes to plugins. (CVE-2016-2157)
- A flaw exists in the 'lib/ajax/getnavbranch.php' script that may allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to enumerate category details. (CVE-2016-2158)
- A flaw exists in the 'get_calendar_events()' function in the 'calendar/externallib.php' script that may allow an authenticated, remote attacker to disclose events that pertain to hidden activities. (CVE-2016-2156)
- A flaw exists in the 'mod_assign_save_submission()' function in the 'mod/assign/externallib.php' script that is triggered as due dates are not properly checked. This may allow a remote attacker to add assignment submissions after the specified due date. (CVE-2016-2159)
- A flaw exists that is triggered during the handling of external links that were added with a '_blank' target attribute. This may allow a context-dependent attacker to disclose referer information. (CVE-2016-2190)
SolutionUpgrade to Moodle version 3.0.3 or later. If 3.0.x cannot be obtained, versions 2.9.5, 2.8.11, or 2.7.13 have also been patched for these issues.