Moodle 1.9.x < 1.9.14 Multiple Vulnerabilities
Medium Nessus Network Monitor Plugin ID 8711
SynopsisThe remote web server is hosting a web application that is vulnerable to multiple attack vectors.
DescriptionThe remote web server hosts Moodle, an open-source course management system. Versions of Moodle prior to 1.9.14 are exposed to the following vulnerabilities :
- A flaw exists in the forms API that allows form values set as constants to be altered when the user submits the form. (MSA-11-0031 / CVE-2011-4301)
- A security flaw exists due to incorrect handling of openssl_verify() return codes and exposes the server to remote attacks bypassing validation. (MSA-11-0032 / CVE-2011-4302)
- A denial of service vulnerability exists in the script 'message/refresh.php' because users could change the refresh wait time to zero. This results in an unlimited query which could exhaust system resources, denying access to legitimate users. (MSA-11-0036 / CVE-2011-4305)
- A cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerability exists due to lack of input sanitization when editing course sections. Specifically, this affects the 'editsection.html' values directly from user input supplied to data_submitted(). (MSA-11-0037 / CVE-2011-4306)
- An unspecified SQL injection vulnerability exists when using magic quotes in the SQL query. (MSA-11-0038)
- An information disclosure flaw exists in 'mod/forum/user.php' which exposes user names to any authenticated members, rather than only students or administrators in the same course. (MSA-11-0040 / CVE-2011-4308)
SolutionUpgrade to Moodle version 1.9.14 or later.