Mozilla Thunderbird < 24.4 Multiple Vulnerabilities
High Nessus Network Monitor Plugin ID 8173
SynopsisThe remote host has an email client installed that is vulnerable to multiple attack vectors.
DescriptionVersions of Mozilla Thunderbird prior to 24.4 are prone to the following vulnerabilities :
- Out-of-bounds read/write access through ArrayBuffer objects, as well as out-of-bounds write access through TypedArrayObject, which enable remote code execution (CVE-2014-1513, CVE-2014-1514)
- Use-after-free error in TypeObject due to possible memory corruption during Garbage Collection in the JS engine, which can be exploited for arbitrary code execution (CVE-2014-1512)
- Privilege escalation using Web-IDL to call JS function 'window.open()', as well as a bug allowing bypass of the popup-blocker without user interaction, could allow an attacker to run arbitrary code with full privileges of the browser (CVE-2014-1510, CVE-2014-1511)
- Out-of-bounds read during polygon rendering in MathML can be leveraged for information disclosure of protected memory address, especially when combined with timing attacks via SVG filters and displacement input to 'feDisplacementMap' (CVE-2014-1505, CVE-2014-1508)
- Out-of-bounds read access during WAV file decoding could allow web countent to access heap data or cause a crash (CVE-2014-1497)
- Miscellaneous memory safety hazards (CVE-2014-1493, CVE-2014-1494)
SolutionUpgrade to Thunderbird 24.4, or later.