InformationRequiring all authorized applications to be in an application whitelist prevents the execution of any applications (e.g., unauthorized, malicious) that are not part of the whitelist. Failure to configure an application whitelist properly could allow unauthorized and malicious applications to be downloaded, installed, and executed on the mobile device, causing a compromise of DoD data accessible by these applications. Applications with the listed characteristics have features that can cause the compromise of sensitive DoD data or have features with no known application in the DoD environment.
Application note: The application whitelist, in addition to controlling the installation of applications on the MD, must control user access/execution of all core and preinstalled applications, or the MD must provide an alternate method of restricting user access/execution to core and pre-installed applications.
Core application: Any application integrated into the OS by the OS or MD vendors.
Pre-installed application: Additional non-core applications included in the OS build by the OS vendor, MD vendor, or wireless carrier.
SFR ID: FMT_SMF_EXT.1.1 #8b
SolutionConfigure the Google Android device application whitelist to exclude applications with the following characteristics:
- back up MD data to non-DoD cloud servers (including user and application access to cloud backup services);
- transmit MD diagnostic data to non-DoD servers;
- voice assistant application if available when MD is locked;
- voice dialing application if available when MD is locked;
- allows synchronization of data or applications between devices associated with user;
- payment processing; and
- allows unencrypted (or encrypted but not FIPS 140-2 validated) data sharing with other MDs, display screens (screen mirroring), or printers.
On the MDM Console:
1. Go to the Android app catalog for managed Google Play.