This script is Copyright (C) 2016 Tenable Network Security, Inc.
The remote SUSE host is missing one or more security updates.
ntp was updated to version 4.2.8p8 to fix five security issues.
These security issues were fixed :
- CVE-2016-4953: Bad authentication demobilizes ephemeral
- CVE-2016-4954: Processing spoofed server packets
- CVE-2016-4955: Autokey association reset (bsc#982067).
- CVE-2016-4956: Broadcast interleave (bsc#982068).
- CVE-2016-4957: CRYPTO_NAK crash (bsc#982064).
These non-security issues were fixed :
- Keep the parent process alive until the daemon has
finished initialisation, to make sure that the PID file
exists when the parent returns.
- bsc#979302: Change the process name of the forking DNS
worker process to avoid the impression that ntpd is
- bsc#981422: Don't ignore SIGCHILD because it breaks
- bsc#979981: ntp-wait does not accept fractional seconds,
so use 1 instead of 0.2 in ntp-wait.service.
- Separate the creation of ntp.keys and key #1 in it to
avoid problems when upgrading installations that have
the file, but no key #1, which is needed e.g. by 'rcntp
Note that Tenable Network Security has extracted the preceding
description block directly from the SUSE security advisory. Tenable
has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible
without introducing additional issues.
See also :
To install this SUSE Security Update use YaST online_update.
Alternatively you can run the command listed for your product :
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12-SP1 :
zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP1-2016-930=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12-SP1 :
zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-DESKTOP-12-SP1-2016-930=1
To bring your system up-to-date, use 'zypper patch'.
Risk factor :
Medium / CVSS Base Score : 5.0
CVSS Temporal Score : 3.7
Public Exploit Available : false