This script is Copyright (C) 2000-2016 Tenable Network Security, Inc.
The remote service allows users to send pop-up messages to each other.
The alerter service is running. This service allows
NT users to send pop-up messages to each other.
This service can be abused by an attacker who can
trick valid users into doing some actions that may
harm their accounts or your network (social
Disable this service.
How to disable this service under NT 4 :
- open the 'Services' control panel
- select the 'Alerter' service, and click 'Stop'
- click on 'Startup...' and change to radio button of the
field 'Startup Type' from 'Automatic' to 'Disabled'
Under Windows 2000 :
- open the 'Administration tools' control panel
- open the 'Services' item in it
- double click on the 'Alerter' service
- click on 'stop'
- change the drop-down menu value from the field 'Startup Type'
from 'Automatic' to 'Disabled'
Risk factor :
High / CVSS Base Score : 7.5