Log Correlation Engine (LCE) 4.8.2 is possibly impacted by multiple vulnerabilities reported in third-party libraries. Tenable has not investigated each one to determine if it is exploitable or the vulnerable code path can be reached. Instead, Dev has upgraded the impacted libraries as a faster and safer alternative. Due to the number of library upgrades and the potential for any of these issues to impact LCE users, we strongly encourage you to upgrade. In some cases, older versions than 4.8.2 may be impacted by a subset of these issues.
The following vulnerabilities have been resolved with the updated libraries.
- OpenSSL CRL Handling Unspecified NULL Pointer Dereference DoS (VulnDB 144804 / CVE-2016-7052)
- OpenSSL Consecutive Warning Alerts Handling CPU Exhaustion Remote DoS Weakness (VulnDB 146198 / CVE-2016-8610)
- libcurl lib/rand.c randit() Function Uninitialized Random Value Weak Cryptographic Operations (VulnDB 149163 / CVE-2016-9594)
- jQuery UI dialog() Function closeText Parameter XSS (VulnDB 142096 / CVE-2016-7103)
- Handlebars lib/handlebars/utils.js Template Unquoted Attributes Improper Escaping XSS Weakness (VulnDB 131671 / CVE-2015-8861 / CVE-2015-8862)
LCE Windows Client 4.4.0 is possibly impacted by multiple vulnerabilities reported in third-party libraries. Tenable has not investigated each one to determine if it is exploitable or the vulnerable code path can be reached. Instead, Dev has upgraded the impacted libraries as a faster and safer alternative. Due to the number of library upgrades and the potential for any of these issues to impact LCE Windows Client users, we strongly encourage you to upgrade. In some cases, older versions than 4.4.0 may be impacted by a subset of these issues. Because the Windows Client only connects to an administrator-designated LCE server, upgrading third-party libraries wasn't given as high of a priority since exploitation would require someone controlling the LCE server or conducting a MitM attack on a privileged segment of the network.
The following vulnerabilities have been resolved with the updated libraries. Note that several of these issues do not have a CVE assigned.
- OpenSSL Bignum Squaring Incorrect Result Weakness (VulnDB 116796 / 2014-3570)
- OpenSSL TLS DH Certificate Missing Certificate Verify Message Handling MitM Spoofing (SKIP-TLS) (VulnDB 116790 / CVE-2015-0205)
- OpenSSL dtls1_get_record DTLS Message Handling NULL Pointer Dereference Remote DoS (VulnDB 116793 / CVE-2014-3571)
- OpenSSL dtls1_buffer_record() Function DTLS Record Saturation Handling Memory Leak Remote DoS (VulnDB 116791 / CVE-2015-0206)
- OpenSSL RSA Temporary Key Handling EXPORT_RSA Ciphers Downgrade MitM (FREAK) (VulnDB 116794 / CVE-2015-0204)
- OpenSSL Signature Algorithm / Signature Encoding Modification Certificate Fingerprint Manipulation Weakness (VulnDB 116792 / CVE-014-8275)
- OpenSSL Missing Server Key Exchange Message Handling ECDH Ciphersuite Downgrade Issue (VulnDB 116795 / CVE-2014-3572)
- OpenSSL s23_srvr.c ssl23_get_client_hello() Function SSLv3 Handshake Handling NULL Pointer Dereference Remote DoS (VulnDB 116423 / CVE-2014-3569)
- OpenSSL Simple s2_srvr.c RSA CMS Signature Bleichenbacher Weakness (VulnDB 135153 / CVE-2016-0704)
- OpenSSL s2_srvr.c Non-zero Clear Key Length Handling SSLv2 Master Key Disclosure (VulnDB 135152 / CVE-2016-0703)
- OpenSSL SSLv2 CLIENT-MASTER-KEY Message Handling Assertion Remote DoS (VulnDB 119757 / CVE-2015-0293)
- OpenSSL PKCS#7 Missing Outer ContentInfo Handling NULL Pointer Dereference DoS (VulnDB 119756 / 2015-0289)
- OpenSSL crypto/asn1/tasn_dec.c ASN1_item_ex_d2i() Function ASN.1 Structure Reuse Memory Corruption (VulnDB 119755 / CVE-2015-0287)
- OpenSSL crypto/asn1/a_type.c ASN1_TYPE_cmp() Function Invalid Read DoS (VulnDB 119761 / CVE-2015-0286)
- OpenSSL crypto/x509/x509_req.c X509_to_X509_REQ() Function Public Key Handling NULL Pointer Dereference DoS (VulnDB 119328 / CVE-2015-0288)
- OpenSSL crypto/ec/ec_asn1.c d2i_ECPrivateKey() Function Error Handling Use-after-free DoS (VulnDB 118817 / CVE-2015-0209)
- OpenSSL signedData Message Unknown Hash Function Processing Infinte Loop Remote DoS (VulnDB 123175 / CVE-2015-1792)
- OpenSSL crypto/pkcs7/pk7_doit.c PKCS7_dataDecode() Function ASN.1-encoded PKCS#7 Blob Handling NULL Pointer Dereference Remote DoS (VulnDB 123174 / CVE-2015-1790)
- OpenSSL crypto/x509/x509_vfy.c X509_cmp_time() Function ASN1_TIME String Handling Out-of-bounds Read Issue (VulnDB 123173 / CVE-2015-1789)
- OpenSSL crypto/bn/bn_gf2m.c BN_GF2m_mod_inv() Function ECParameters Structure Binary Polynomial Field Parsing Infinite Loop Remote DoS (VulnDB 123172 / CVE-2015-1788)
- OpenSSL NewSessionTicket Ticket Re-use Double-free Remote Unspecified Issue (VulnDB 122875 / CVE-2015-1791)
- OpenSSL PSK Identity Hint SSL_CTX Structure Update Double-free Issue (VulnDB 131040 / CVE-2015-3196)
- OpenSSL X509_ATTRIBUTE Structure Handling Memory Leak Remote DoS (VulnDB 131039 / CVE-2015-3195)
- Libxml2 Multiple Functionality Format Strings (VulnDB 138966 / CVE-2016-4448)
- Libxml2 parser.c xmlParseElementDecl() / xmlParseConditionalSections() Functions Out-of-bounds Read Issue (VulnDB 138928 / CVE-2016-4447)
- Libxml2 parser.c xmlStringLenDecodeEntities() Function Unspecified XML External Entity (XXE) Injection Issue (VulnDB 138926 / CVE-2016-4449)
- Libxml2 parser.c xmlParseStartTag2() Function Heap Use-after-free (VulnDB 138567 / CVE-2016-1835)
- Libxml2 xmlregexp.c xmlFAParseCharRange() Function Heap Buffer Overflow (VulnDB 138572 / CVE-2016-1840)
- Libxml2 parser.c xmlParseNCNameComplex() Function Heap Use-after-free (VulnDB 138568 / CVE-2016-1836)
- Libxml2 xmlstring.c xmlStrncatNew() Function Heap Buffer Overflow (VulnDB 138566 / CVE-2016-1834)
- Libxml2 HTMLparser.c htmlParseSystemLiteral() / htmlParsePubidLiteral() Functions Heap Buffer Overflow (VulnDB 138569 / CVE-2016-1837)
- Libxml2 xmlsave.c xmlBufAttrSerializeTxtContent() Function Recover Mode XML Content Handling Out-of-bounds Read Issue (VulnDB 137965 / 2016-4483)
- Libxml2 parser.c Multiple Function Recursive xmlStringDecodeEntities() Call Handling Stack Overflow DoS (VulnDB 137962 / CVE-2016-3705)
- Libxml2 HTMLparser.c htmlParseName() / htmlParseNameComplex() Functions Out-of-bounds Read Issue (VulnDB 134833 / CVE-2016-1839)
- Libxml2 parser.c xmlParserEntityCheck() Function Recovery Mode XML Content Parsing Recursion DoS (VulnDB 136194 / CVE-2016-3627)
- Libxml2 parser.c xmlParseEndTag2() Function Out-of-bounds Read Issue (VulnDB 130651 / CVE-2016-1838 / CVE-2016-1695)
- Libxml2 parserInternals.c xmlNextChar() Function Out-of-bounds Read Issue (VulnDB 130653 / CVE-2016-1833)
- Libxml2 uri.c xmlParse3986Port() Function Port Argument Handling Integer Overflow Unspecified Issue (VulnDB 138921)
- Libxml2 HTMLparser.c htmlParseNameComplex() Function HTML File Encoding Detection Failure (VulnDB 138927)
Note that the CVSSv2 score associated with this advisory is specific to an the OpenSSL integration into LCE Windows Client and assumes a worst-case scenario. These updates are proactive; Tenable has had no reports of exploitation and some of these issues may not impact LCE or the LCE Windows Client at all.
Please note that Tenable strongly recommends that LCE be installed on a subnet that is not Internet addressable.
Log Correlation Engine (LCE) 5.0.0 has been released, which updates the linked OpenSSL, cURL / libcurl, and jQuery UI libraries. LCE Windows Client 5.0.0 has been released, which updates the linked OpenSSL, cURL / libcurl, and libxml2 libraries. The new versions can be obtained on the Tenable Support Portal.
This page contains information regarding security vulnerabilities that may impact Tenable's products. This may include issues specific to our software, or due to the use of third-party libraries within our software. Tenable strongly encourages users to ensure that they upgrade or apply relevant patches in a timely manner.
Tenable takes product security very seriously. If you believe you have found a vulnerability in one of our products, we ask that you please work with us to quickly resolve it in order to protect customers. Tenable believes in responding quickly to such reports, maintaining communication with researchers, and providing a solution in short order.
For more details on submitting vulnerability information, please see our Vulnerability Reporting Guidelines page.
If you have questions or corrections about this advisory, please email firstname.lastname@example.org