This dashboard provides a great deal of information at a glance, including a comparison of items such as overall patch rates to that of items with CVSS scores of 10. The dashboard facilitates a comparative analysis of Linux patching vs. Windows patching over 30 day and 60 day cycle periods. Some organizations might be surprised how successful one patch management process is over another. The dashboard and its components are available in the SecurityCenter 4.7 Dashboard app feed, an app store of dashboards, reports and assets.
The dashboard requirements are:
- SecurityCenter 4.7
- Nessus 5.2.1
The dashboard components included are:
Mitigated Patch Rates - Vulnerabilities Over Time
This component is a 90 day summary chart tracking active vulnerabilities with low, medium, high, and critical severities.
Mitigated Patch Rates - Remediation Rates
This component provides a detailed analysis tracking of remediation efforts within an organization. On the bottom, I created a matrix chart that lists some very generic columns including:
- Now - number of current vulnerabilities
- Patched - number of vulnerabilities in the mitigated status
- 30d Rate - number of patched vulnerabilities that took 30 days or less to patch
- 30d Date - number of patches that occurred within the past 30 days
- 30d Rate - Lifetime - percent of patches that occurred within 30 days of being tracked by SecurityCenter
- 30d Rate Past 30d - percent of patches that occurred within 30 days of being tracked by SecurityCenter for the past 30 calendar days
- 30d Rate Past 31d - 60d - percent of patches that occurred within 30 days of being tracked by SecurityCenter between 31 and 60 calendar days ago
- 30d Rate Past 61d - 90d - percent of patches that occurred within 30 days of being tracked by SecurityCenter between 61 and 90 calendar days ago
For the rows, I created different types of arbitrary categories, including all vulnerabilities, vulnerabilities with a CVSS score of 10, exploitable vulnerabilities, and vulnerabilities, that were Windows or Linux in nature. For each ratio, the percentage from 0 to 25 is shown in red, 24 to 50 in yellow and higher than 50 in green.