This script is Copyright (C) 2008-2013 Tenable Network Security, Inc.
The remote Windows host contains a runtime environment that is
affected by multiple vulnerabilities.
The version of Sun Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed on the
remote host is earlier than 6 Update 11 / 5.0 Update 17 / 1.4.2_19 /
1.3.1_24. Such versions are potentially affected by the following
security issues :
- The JRE creates temporary files with insufficiently
random names. (244986)
- There are multiple buffer overflow vulnerabilities
involving the JRE's image processing code, its
handling of GIF images, and its font processing.
- It may be possible for an attacker to bypass security
checks due to the manner in which it handles the
'non-shortest form' of UTF-8 byte sequences.
- There are multiple security vulnerabilities in Java
Web Start and Java Plug-in that may allow for privilege
- The JRE Java Update mechanism does not check the digital
signature of the JRE that it downloads. (244989)
- A buffer overflow may allow an untrusted Java
application that is launched through the commandline to
escalate its privileges. (244990)
- A vulnerability related to deserializing calendar
objects may allow an untrusted applet or application to
escalate its privileges. (244991)
- A buffer overflow affects the 'unpack200' JAR unpacking
utility and may allow an untrusted applet or application
to escalate its privileges with unpacking applets and
Java Web Start applications. (244992)
- The UTF-8 decoder accepts encodings longer than the
'shortest' form. Although not a vulnerability per se,
it may be leveraged to exploit software that relies on
the JRE UTF-8 decoder to reject the 'non-shortest form'
- An untrusted applet or application may be able to list
the contents of the home directory of the user running
the applet or application. (246266)
- A denial of service vulnerability may be triggered when
the JRE handles certain RSA public keys. (246286)
- A vulnerability may be triggered while authenticating
users through Kerberos and lead to a system-wide denial
of service due to excessive consumption of operating
system resources. (246346)
- Security vulnerabilities in the JAX-WS and JAXB packages
where internal classes can be accessed may allow an
untrusted applet or application to escalate privileges.
- An untrusted applet or application when parsing zip
files may be able to read arbitrary memory locations in
the process that the applet or application is running.
- The JRE allows code loaded from the local filesystem to
access localhost. (246387)
See also :
Update to Sun Java JDK / JRE 6 Update 11, JDK / JRE 5.0 Update 17,
SDK / JRE 1.4.2_19, or SDK / JRE 1.3.1_24 or later and
remove if necessary any affected versions.
Risk factor :
High / CVSS Base Score : 9.3
CVSS Temporal Score : 7.7
Public Exploit Available : true
Nessus Plugin ID: 35030 ()
CVE ID: CVE-2008-2086