This script is Copyright (C) 2007-2015 Tenable Network Security, Inc.
The remote Red Hat host is missing one or more security updates.
Updated kernel packages that fix security issues and bugs in the Red
Hat Enterprise Linux 5 kernel are now available.
This update has been rated as having important security impact by the
Red Hat Security Response Team.
The Linux kernel handles the basic functions of the operating system.
These new kernel packages contain fixes for the following security
* a flaw in the handling of IPv6 type 0 routing headers that allowed
remote users to cause a denial of service that led to a network
amplification between two routers (CVE-2007-2242, Important).
* a flaw in the nfnetlink_log netfilter module that allowed a local
user to cause a denial of service (CVE-2007-1496, Important).
* a flaw in the flow list of listening IPv6 sockets that allowed a
local user to cause a denial of service (CVE-2007-1592, Important).
* a flaw in the handling of netlink messages that allowed a local user
to cause a denial of service (infinite recursion) (CVE-2007-1861,
* a flaw in the IPv4 forwarding base that allowed a local user to
cause an out-of-bounds access (CVE-2007-2172, Important).
* a flaw in the nf_conntrack netfilter module for IPv6 that allowed
remote users to bypass certain netfilter rules using IPv6 fragments
In addition to the security issues described above, fixes for the
following have been included :
* a regression in ipv6 routing.
* an error in memory initialization that caused gdb to output
inaccurate backtraces on ia64.
* the nmi watchdog timeout was updated from 5 to 30 seconds.
* a flaw in distributed lock management that could result in errors
during virtual machine migration.
* an omitted include in kernel-headers that led to compile failures
for some packages.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 users are advised to upgrade to these
packages, which contain backported patches to correct these issues.
See also :
Update the affected packages.
Risk factor :
High / CVSS Base Score : 7.8
CVSS Temporal Score : 5.8
Public Exploit Available : false
Family: Red Hat Local Security Checks
Nessus Plugin ID: 25333 ()
Bugtraq ID: 2310423615
CVE ID: CVE-2007-1496CVE-2007-1497CVE-2007-1592CVE-2007-1861CVE-2007-2172CVE-2007-2242
The cookie settings on this website are set to 'allow all cookies' to give you the very best website experience. If you continue without changing these settings, you consent to this - but if you want, you can opt out of all cookies by clicking below.